First ever load work up…

JonnyZ

Nov 6, 2016
I’ve wanted to learn the art of hand loading ever since I had my first custom rifle build a couple years ago. It was something that seamed daunting because I have absolutely zero experience and zero equipment to do so but @NBK convinced me to consider it… so I listened and started to buy equipment and built a small bench. John has been extremely generous with his time and has guided me through the process of developing several loads, starting low and working upwards. Well, the outcome is something I would have never imagined possible, especially on the first go round! Now, I will say this needs to be proven out past 100 yds but I’m really excited from the initial results! I would probably still be learning how to seat primers if left to learn on YouTube so thank you John!!!

7 Rem Mag
155 hammer hunter
Reloader 23
ADG brass
Federal match primers

IMG_7368.jpegIMG_7367.jpeg

I’ve wanted to learn the art of hand loading ever since I had my first custom rifle build a couple years ago. It was something that seamed daunting because I have absolutely zero experience and zero equipment to do so but @NBK convinced me to consider it… so I listened and started to buy equipment and built a small bench. John has been extremely generous with his time and has guided me through the process of developing several loads, starting low and working upwards. Well, the outcome is something I would have never imagined possible, especially on the first go round! Now, I will say this needs to be proven out past 100 yds but I’m really excited from the initial results! I would probably still be learning how to seat primers if left to learn on YouTube so thank you John!!!

7 Rem Mag
155 hammer hunter
Reloader 23
ADG brass
Federal match primers

View attachment 58573View attachment 58574
Very nice! @NBK is always a great source of knowledge, great man.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Reactions: JonnyZ
I've been known to work a super load up...put that load to work on a mammal and post him when you dump him. Nice job

I've been known to work a super load up...put that load to work on a mammal and post him when you dump him. Nice job
Will do!!! This rifle has been absolutely lights out with factory Barnes ( 2 deer, 2 bear , 7 pigs and a few coyote) since I got it from Jonathan @ FFA in October of 21’…can’t wait to see it in action now!!

Reactions: HATCHET1

7 Rem Mag
155 hammer hunter
Reloader 23
ADG brass
Federal match primers

So what are you using for the process? Sizing process, trimming, powder measument, annealing?

So what are you using for the process? Sizing process, trimming, powder measument, annealing?
What a loaded question…no pun intended lol!

Because I started with new brass, I first resized the brass with my Co-Ax press and Redding master hunter die. I measured case length and trimmed all brass with the Forster trimmer and ran it through the brass boss ( inside and outside chamfers as well as the flash hole uniformity bit ). Next I seated the primers using the 21st century innovation bench rest priming tool. John helped me find our starting point for powder load…I have yet to get a powder measure so it got a bit western with some Tupperware and measuring spoons stolen from the kitchen . The scale i am using is the gempro 250. We used the hornady lock n load OALgauge and the bullet comparator kit to figure out the seating depth.

I’m far short of knowing what the heck I’m doing so everything I have done as well as everything I bought has come from recommendations…

I’ve added a few items this week-
Dandy 2 speed powder trickler
Lee powder measure kit
RCBS bullet puller
Along with a few other items…

I’m researching powder drops. The Lyman #55 is discontinued so I’m leaning toward the Forster version but not decided.

I have a new rifle being built as we speak in 6.5 creedmor and have a ton of hornady match brass from a long range shooting class I did a while back so I’ve started to prep that brass until I can get my hands on some better quality brass…thinking of using the 110 grain or 124 grain hammer hunters.

Honestly, I thought I would slowly get into this but it’s become somewhat of a new obsession. I’m the type of guy that likes to read and watch videos as well as being a pretty addicted gear guy so I imagine I will be hiding credit card receipts for the next few months…Tons to learn but excited about it!!

Because I started with new brass, I first resized the brass with my Co-Ax press and Redding master hunter die. I measured case length and trimmed all brass with the Forster trimmer and ran it through the brass boss ( inside and outside chamfers as well as the flash hole uniformity bit ). Next I seated the primers using the 21st century innovation bench rest priming tool. John helped me find our starting point for powder load…I have yet to get a powder measure so it got a bit western with some Tupperware and measuring spoons stolen from the kitchen . The scale i am using is the gempro 250. We used the hornady lock n load OALgauge and the bullet comparator kit to figure out the seating depth.

I’m far short of knowing what the heck I’m doing so everything I have done as well as everything I bought has come from recommendations…

Lee powder measure kit
RCBS bullet puller

I’m researching powder drops. The Lyman #55 is discontinued so I’m leaning toward the Forster version but not decided.

I have a new rifle being built as we speak in 6.5 creedmor and have a ton of hornady match brass from a long range shooting class I did a while back so I’ve started to prep that brass until I can get my hands on some better quality brass…thinking of using the 110 grain or 124 grain hammer hunters.

Honestly, I thought I would slowly get into this but it’s become somewhat of a new obsession. I’m the type of guy that likes to read and watch videos as well as being a pretty addicted gear guy so I imagine I will be hiding credit card receipts for the next few months…Tons to learn but excited about it!!

Mission accomplished!

Lee powder measure kit
RCBS bullet puller

Great job on your first load. There's lots of cool (and expensive) tools out there
20210618_234240.jpg20220823_210613.jpgScreenshot_20210618-214844_Gallery.jpg

7 Rem Mag
155 hammer hunter
Reloader 23
ADG brass
Federal match primers

Great job, love the Hammers. I'm working up a load for my 22-250 using 32gr HH for coyotes, the Hammers are awesome.

Reactions: JonnyZ and NBK
Nice job on the new load.

I had a question. Are you running bushing dies and if so how much tension. Also how far off the lands did you end up being.

Sweet job!! Hammer bullets and custom rifles make single hole groups and I love it!

Nice job on the new load.

I had a question. Are you running bushing dies and if so how much tension. Also how far off the lands did you end up being.
I’m using the Redding master hunter dies… we started at 20 thousands of the lands.

Reactions: Ofdscooby

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu