FIRST OFFICIAL dUCK HUNT

sherpa1

Nov 18, 2013
Took my 6 month old Chocolate out to Wister on her first official hunt. Except for her constantly wanting to be in the water she did very good. Three retrieves on ducks and a couple of games of catch with the empty shells she finally decided she had enough and crashed in the blind .tikka.jpg

Took my 6 month old Chocolate out to Wister on her first official hunt. Except for her constantly wanting to be in the water she did very good. Three retrieves on ducks and a couple of games of catch with the empty shells she finally decided she had enough and crashed in the blind .View attachment 41698
6 months old?
i thought that it would take a lot longer. I will stay with the recommendations I have had and wait a bit more, my puppy is 3 months old and I am starting to play catch and retrieve with him. He is all over the place...:)
BTW mine is a brown lab male.

6 months old?
i thought that it would take a lot longer. I will stay with the recommendations I have had and wait a bit more, my puppy is 3 months old and I am starting to play catch and retrieve with him. He is all over the place...:)
BTW mine is a brown lab male.

Fabian,

This is Beau...Chocolate lab I raised till he was 6 months old and then I gave him to my cousin in Montana...Retrieving ducks, geese & pheasant at 7 months...Start 'em young in my book.

.024.JPG

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
Young is better than old. 4-6 months is when to get them started as far as hunting breeds go, Retrievers are easier than versatile dogs when it comes to retrieving skills you can train them for, but there is a difference when it comes to what all you will get from a versastile dog compared to a retriever at this age and beyond and what they can be trained to do. No prejudice involved just what I have come to see and know over the years. They are two different animals as far as skills that they can be taught. We train both, but versatile dogs in general are more capable IF and I say IF the work is put to task and they are trained properly. No disrespect to anyone on this thread its what I do and am reinforced by my experience's everyday. Btw catch and retieve as play is not the best way to train a hunt dog, Its a job not a game or pass time they should be trained to know that they must do it and not have a choice when it comes to you sending them on a retrieve otherwise you may not acheive the result you desire.

Fred,

I agree...But I think the reason labs are so popular is because most are family dogs 1st that are trained to retrieve/hunt...I'm no professional like you, but I can't imagine anything being easier than training a lab to retrieve...It's what they want to do and IMO are the best at it.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu