First pheasant opener

J

Josh Pearson

I was lucky enough to get invited to hunt with a group of guys that had access to private agricultural fields in the Imperial Valley for the pheasant opener. We scouted all day Friday and saw lots of roosters so our hopes were high for Saturday morning. We spent all of Saturday walking private fields and even some irrigation ditches. It was much slower than we expected based on the number of roosters we saw the day before and out of our group of 10 people only four roosters were taken. Fortunately I was one of the four guys who shot a bird and overall everybody had a great time.

Attachments

• Joshroost.png
    Joshroost.png
    876.8 KB · Views: 128
Congrats on that 1st rooster.........One of my favorite things to hunt as a kid........Well, as an adult as well.......lol

nice job dude...i only seen one all day and it was near el centro dead in a canal

Pheasant2014Diet.jpg Nice job Josh. Good looking pheasant - and we are glad the naked man is not in the picture! ;D

Random Shot and I went down yesterday. I had a rooster fly right in from of me and I froze up unable to get my gun off safety. I still get excited after all of these years. We saw 3 rosters and 2 hens. We were only able to get a hen and a rooster to rise.

Had a blast with the dogs too. As seen in the picture, Dieter is taking a well deserved rest. Random Shot's 10 year old Bella (German Shorthair) and 9 year old Dieter (small Munsterlander). Jon said we were hunting with the senior dog tour! Ha Ha - had to be there.

Love the sight and smell of the Imperial Valley. Reminds me of hunting season!

Not sure about where you would find pheasant on public land down there. Everything we hunted was private land.

baboltin said:
very nice, is there any public land down there to hunt roosters ?

Everything is private in the IV......It's just that much of it is not posted and the unwritten rule is you can hunt it as long as it's not a row crop......There are DFG Heritage fields that get planted on Fridays (not all are planted with pheasants).....Most these fields are near Wister W.A.

.https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=83159&inline=1

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu