First public land bird

MAG 1

Sep 1, 2016
11008.jpeg 11006.jpeg Public land is hard. I dont think people care about other hunters or anything on public land. Had guys gobbling and calling at 5:30. You wonder if they have ever read or asked questions to a turkey hunter before. With that being said, we got lucky. We heard birds in the trees early, but never heard fly down or anything else. At about 10 i wanted to go take a look around and after a little ways we here a gobble.we sit down and get a visual on the hen and a tom we think running around the bend. Make a game plan to see if we can go around the bend and cut him of. Sure enough it works. We come around the corner and there he is. Not big but my first one on public land 4" beard. Great day for me and REM, my partner.

Congrats Mark & Remington......Public land is tough, but normally it gets better as the season wears on.....Most the week-ender's just give up.

Tons of movement right now.

You're dead on about the other guys. Opening day I heard what sounded like a dying cat at 5:30, a hoot owl at 11 AM, and a hen on speed throughout the day. It boggles the mind. Congratulations though!

Awesome! You got one of the three jakes there. My son and I called in those three jakes during the youth season and just watched them as they molested our DSD hen and beat up the Jake decoy. It as a lot of fun watching them. They came running in right off the roost haha.

Awesome! You got one of the three jakes there. My son and I called in those three jakes during the youth season and just watched them as they molested our DSD hen and beat up the Jake decoy. It as a lot of fun watching them. They came running in right off the roost haha.
I wish it would have happened that way,one day. A lot of fun though.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu