Fixed Blade for Big Game

Hunter527

Apr 3, 2018
Niland, CA
What fixed blade knife do you recommend for big game? I plan on doing the gutless method if I get a buck this year, if that changes your recommendation.

I like the Knives of Alaska "Cub Bear" and a Havalon Baracuta bone saw with both bone saw blade and knife blade.

Unless you are worried about weight for packing, I would buy something quality that u could use for a while. I bought myself a damasucus knife I can hopefully pass down to my boys one day. Just an idea.

I use a tyto. It’s as light as I’ve found and sharp as shit out of the box. I know a lot of guys use goat knives in the backcountry as well. If weight is of concern I’d go with something light like those.

I use a tyto. It’s as light as I’ve found and sharp as shit out of the box. I know a lot of guys use goat knives in the backcountry as well. If weight is of concern I’d go with something light like those.
Seconding the tyto fixed blade, a little pricey but I love mine

just a standard Havalon Piranta and a Leatherman Wave+ for me. I can get a deer done fast gutless. No reason to carry a big knife if you need a saw or to get around elk joints the Leatherman is fine. For deer the Havalon is all I need.

Havalon or outdoor edge. Something with interchangeable blades is a must! You will need multiple knives to cut up an animal as the blades dull so fast on the hide. I carry outdoor edge but honestly they are both fine for the job. I carry 5-6 spare blades at a time. I also carry a small bone saw.

Reactions: Fishnplay57
Havalon or outdoor edge. Something with interchangeable blades is a must! You will need multiple knives to cut up an animal as the blades dull so fast on the hide. I carry outdoor edge but honestly they are both fine for the job. I carry 5-6 spare blades at a time. I also carry a small bone saw.
Geez, what did folks back in the day do before changeable blades, well they did what I have done forever they carried good quality steel blades with sharpening gear. The indigenous people before us used felspar and obsideon rock to cut animals....

• Haha
Reactions: socalhntr
Geez, what did folks back in the day do before changeable blades, well they did what I have done forever they carried good quality steel blades with sharpening gear. The indigenous people before us used felspar and obsideon rock to cut animals....

Fred,

They did this...Still do....... :joy:

ps...I use both a Havalon & OE....Carry a Flip blade I won at a CWA dinner....Favorite knife.

.048.JPG

Y
So what you are saying... there is more than one way to skin a cat!
Yep, BTW I carry a Havalon as well because they work so well but before that it was a Buck folder and then a lock blade German folder From Soligen Germany that my dear departed friend Henry gave me as gift . He was an iron worker and knew what quality steel was all about. Best utility knife I have ever owned.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu