Fixed Blade for Big Game

I'll let you know how the Havalon Titan works once I drop a deer..used it on a few duck breasts earlier this year but its dying to get in on some real action..
The Titan is always in the Truck!! It really does do it all..Screenshot_20210610-142124.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
This old man was serviced by the Titan..
Boy was he ever serviced...

I grew up going to school and playing ball with Josh Buck. Great family and incredible knives. Love my bucks especially the 110. I always make sure the knife I am buying is made in USA. That’s probably the difference between the two knives above bench made is made here and some Bucks are made overseas.

The Titan is always in the Truck!! It really does do it all..

Picked it up from your recommendation for last years elk season..showed it off at elk camp and sliced my thumb pretty good lol so I know they're sharp just need to drop a large mammal to put it to the test..

@Hunter527 As far as benchmade vs buck I believe what sets those apart is the warranty. I want a benchmade but dammit if I can't convince myself to pay that much for a knife..maybe one day..

Reactions: HATCHET1
Picked it up from your recommendation for last years elk season..showed it off at elk camp and sliced my thumb pretty good lol so I know they're sharp just need to drop a large mammal to put it to the test..

@Hunter527 As far as benchmade vs buck I believe what sets those apart is the warranty. I want a benchmade but dammit if I can't convince myself to pay that much for a knife..maybe one day..
Dude..you will not be disappointed.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
I don't find $130 a lot to pay for a quality knife, ask the wife. Always get the best you can afford.

Its almost as bad as with some of the ultralight guys. They will pay $300 for a knife that saves them 1 gram in weight.

I've had all sorts of hunting knives, including some custom knives in D2 steel and Damascus. Also had almost all the knives made by Knives of Alaska. All of them were great but I eventually sold them all on Ebay. Too heavy, rust, hard to sharpen, whatever. I now carry 3 knives---Morakniv companion, Havalon, and Leatherman Wave. I paid about the same for all 3 as for a single Knives of Alaska knife or a third what the custom knives cost. The Morakniv and Havalon are super lightweight and totally dependable. A good friend of mine in Hawaii goes to a ritzy elk camp in Montana every year. Pays about $15,000 for a hunt. He asked me what knife he should get. Told him to get a Morakniv, which he did. When he returned from his hunt he was upset.

"Those other guys almost laughed me out of the lodge when they saw that I had a $20 knife," he complained. "They all carry custom knives that cost $500 or more!"

"How many of those guys ever take their knives out of the sheaths, other than to show them off?" I asked. Before he could answer, I continued, "Never!! They never touch their knives. The guides do all the field dressing and butchering. Those fancy knives are all for show!"

He thought a minute and said, "Yeah. But I don't like getting laughed at."

A couple weeks later he showed me his custom knife that cost about $600. I guess they didn't laugh at him when he went to elk camp the next year.
Could you skin and quarter a deer with the morakniv without sharpening?

I don't know, been an old timer, I hate to throw a way any thing. disposable blades is a thing now a days. I never had an issue with a dull knifes.
and I did not pay a lot. which is relative to the user. proper sharpening is essential. Damascus knife are very cool. and are nice to look at, but the quality of a knife must be durable,
retain a sharp edge. it it has a more to do with the steel it is made from. a very sharp razor blade we all know is very sharp, but it will dull easy.
it is what ever fits your goat. and gets the job done. I been happy with buck. and it has it's draw backs, but I was able to pass it on to my son.
and I forgotten how many deer it has field dressed. I was taught to butcher game. and requires it's own set of tools, and which I forgotten most it. T-bone, rib eye, and on.

I don't know, been an old timer, I hate to throw a way any thing. disposable blades is a thing now a days. I never had an issue with a dull knifes.
and I did not pay a lot. which is relative to the user. proper sharpening is essential. Damascus knife are very cool. and are nice to look at, but the quality of a knife must be durable,
retain a sharp edge. it it has a more to do with the steel it is made from. a very sharp razor blade we all know is very sharp, but it will dull easy.
it is what ever fits your goat. and gets the job done. I been happy with buck. and it has it's draw backs, but I was able to pass it on to my son.
and I forgotten how many deer it has field dressed. I was taught to butcher game. and requires it's own set of tools, and which I forgotten most it. T-bone, rib eye, and on.
I’m not too interested in the replaceable blades, a guide told me he had one break inside the cavity of an animal. That’s not something I want to be dealing with if I’m out processing an animal miles from the truck; but I know a lot of guys like them. I got a drop point Buck 110 for Christmas, and now I’m looking for a fixed blade to go with it.

When it comes to knives its more about the specific steel used / how it is heat treated more than the manufacturer. Some get dull quickly while others will stay sharp over 2 elk.

I was going to buy a benchmade but decided to go custom using elmax and absolutely love it. Havalon's are good, but i find myself breaking blades often and they dull quickly on an elk.

When it comes to knives its more about the specific steel used / how it is heat treated more than the manufacturer. Some get dull quickly while others will stay sharp over 2 elk.

I was going to buy a benchmade but decided to go custom using elmax and absolutely love it. Havalon's are good, but i find myself breaking blades often and they dull quickly on an elk.
I saw a Argali knife made of S35VN and a Buck made of S35VN. The Argali is double the price of the Buck. Why does Argali charge more? Both are made in US.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu