Forests Closed - FYI

fish dog

Apr 28, 2015
Johnson City, TN
118772101_2845411579020408_414244456010823339_o.jpg

Reactions: Koi00
@sherpa It took the state 24 hours to issue a closure of the remaining National Forest lands in CA. Now we are 29 hours into a complete closure of all national forests in CA (I’ll stop counting the hours when we get to weeks).
https://www.fs.usda.gov/sierra/
Pray for rain! Even then, I think things will stay closed (like the schools) until after the election.

Last edited:
You cannot hunt deer or set foot on any national forest in California as of this moment.
Just asking !!!where did you find that info. I would like to see something stating that we can not hunt nor enter!! It is archery season no ignition source no problem, no campsite no problem, no parking no problem give me something that say we are not allowed in public land?

Reactions: Yobiwon
Dfg has said you can return your tag and get your points back but not your money. Something about no mechanism to refund the $$$ you have to return your tag before the start of your season.

Rackscavenger909 I work for the forest its closed as in closed do not enter no hunting no hiking no stopping to pee closed

Reactions: chessie
Thank you, Cadman,

Deer tag fees are nonrefundable
regardless of closures due to fire, weather, or other natural disasters (CCR T14-708.2).

Premium deer hunt tags cannot be exchanged, but customers unable to hunt may surrender their tag via mail to the CDFW License and Revenue Branch prior to the season start date along with a written request. The tag must be postmarked prior to the earliest date that the tag is valid for hunting. If the request is approved, preference points will be reinstated and one preference point will be awarded for the species for the hunt year ((CCR T14-708.14(j)). Premium deer tags are defined as any hunt in which the quota filled on or before the first business day after July 1 of the previous year. link opens in new windowView a list of deer tags eligible to be returned as of September 10, 2020 (PDF). Mail tags with written requests to:

CA Dept. of Fish and Wildlife
License and Revenue Branch
1740 N. Market Blvd.
Sacramento, CA 95834

Did not know that. Learn something new everyday. I honestly thought once you drew a tag it was yours use it or not points and money are gone.

But look at it a little closer. It does say "if the request is approved",

Unfortunately I think we all know how that works out. I hope I'm wrong for you. But on the bright side if it is approved you'll have more preference points and should be able to get the same tag next year.

Did not know that. Learn something new everyday. I honestly thought once you drew a tag it was yours use it or not points and money are gone.

But look at it a little closer. It does say "if the request is approved",

Unfortunately I think we all know how that works out. I hope I'm wrong for you. But on the bright side if it is approved you'll have more preference points and should be able to get the same tag next year.
Update - I did get my points reinstated.

If Los Padres opens before the end of October I'll probably pick up a tag for D13, along with everyone else who's hunt got blown out due to the closures.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu