Found out the wife loves road hunting

Zak

Mar 30, 2019
I drew my first out-of-state tag in AZ so the non-hunting wife came along mostly out of curiosity. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I rented her some Vortex 18x's and a Sirui tripod from Rent Outdoor Gear and off we went. On opening day at first light we saw four deer at a spot I had marked on the map, I stopped the truck as soon as I saw them (dumb move) and they bolted. We hiked out a few miles after them but they were long gone. After hiking and glassing for most of the day, I noticed she wasn't patient enough for big-game hunting and was sad this might be the first and last time she'll go with me. The next day we checked out a new area that was more suitable for road hunting than hiking, so we did a lot of glassing from the truck. Suddenly she was in high spirits and was really into it, apparently having the truck a few feet away is a game changer. Our experience turned into tag soup, but I told her I'm not bringing her on future backpack hunts -- but for road hunting she is welcome. She didn't dispute the suggestion, then got upset that I didn't shoot the deer from the truck on opening day.

Now that I know what kind of hunter she is, I plan on buying her the Outdoorsmans Window Mount so she can glass from the comfort of the truck. Too much money spent on ultralight backpacking gear, sheesh.arizona.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Anywhere from 15-20 a season.. depending on quota....trick is getting out of the truck without getting busted...them deer are smart..and ain't glued to the pasture!!! I tell ya...

One of the most successful hunters I know road hunts in the SoCal area. Every year he tags out, usually within the first weekend. I may change my game plan next year. I am getting older after all....

Haha.......The older I get, the better I like road hunting...... :joy:

• Haha
Reactions: YETI
Slow the truck to 1-2mph (never stopping), have her get out by a bush and keep driving slow over the next hill. Keep a radio on both of you.

Honestly, if that's how she enjoys nature, then more power to her.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu