FROM THE FIELD

With all the fog on the freeway this morning, I got in the stand about 30 minutes late. On the way in I jumped two deer but didn’t see them. At 8:30 I had a Bobcat come in to 33 yards. My husband was too cheap to buy me a 3.00 tag so I let it walk. It was so cool to watch one close up in the wild. I’m going out again tomorrow morning.

7 doe total. Its getting tough out there. I haven't seen a deer while rifle hunting with bone in 4 weeks!! Last weekend I had a forky at 130 yards and I had my bow in my hand... go figure right. Repacking my bag then off to bed. 3am comes quick. I'll be tree-hugging tomorrow.

This pretty much sums up my season so far. I have a-22 and a d-16 tag in my pocket.... I just had a doe with a fawn and a 9" spike at 12yards! The 3 things I wont shoot and I only get those so far! lol

Just got back home...... Started out this morning @430am got to my first spot had somebody in it went to the second spot had somebody there too.... Went across the mountain and found a nice rock to lass from seen 1doe 2 fawns :( , hope tomorrow morning is better

Alright guys getting to the last day now, we need you guys to work harder. Just messing around but seriously, someone's gotta get one. No pressure guys.

Sounds like the average deer on public land get any pictures of him? also any rut to speak of???

I took a drive to Julian yesterday and went through Cuyamaca. Stopped to watch a group of about 12 deer. 2 bucks, the smaller/younger deer he was a good fork. Got chased off by a bigger/older deer, which turned out to be a 4x3. The 4x3 had his nose to ground chasing a doe hard. So there are probably some late does in estrous and the bigger more mature bucks will be chasing. I think the bigger was pretty old from the looks of his antlers and body.

Attachments

• Snack1.JPG
    Snack1.JPG
    374.6 KB · Views: 18
  • snack2.JPG
    snack2.JPG
    576.6 KB · Views: 17
  • Snack3.JPG
    Snack3.JPG
    459.5 KB · Views: 18
No pictures, he was average at best, maybe next year he'll sport some better gear. I walked into a small herd of does three days ago in the herd were two spikes and the same forkie, they dont seem to be too rut crazy and I havent seen much rut behavior in about a month where I'm at. That Cuymaca buck looks to be an old guy, nice mass

Finished off the D16 season today wiith my bow in hand. I saw a doe and two fawns at 20 yards a decent fork at 100 and my first real shooter of the season at 425.

Feeling a lIttle melancholy right now.....time to break out the Legacy 28 and look for some quail.

D12 buck did not happen this year...Got to learn the lay of the land better... 2nd year trying to score a buck is over, Tag soup with a coors light.. Time to concentrate on them ditch chickens and quail for now... I'll be back at dem bucks next year...

D12 is a tough go. While it does have some very BIG deer, it is a difficult hunt.

Good luck next year - that whopper is around the next corner!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu