Fun in the sun

WaterDawg

Nov 20, 2016
It’s been a while since I’ve had anything to post about. Life gets tricky sometimes. Like a box of chocolates I guess

Anyway, I had some work in SE SD County so I parlayed it into an afternoon IV run. Had a chance to try my new Berretta 20 guage on some ECDs and I’m quite happy with it. The 111 degree heat was extra rough on me, I think my BP meds might be too strong. I was ok in the shade. But when i would venture out into the sun and search around for downed birds I’d get light headed and feel sick. Old age? WTH?

At about 7 pm I headed for a rabbit spot and broke out the trusty Ruger 10/22. It hasn’t been used in about 18 months and I was too lazy to check the sighting. Turns out it was dead on - 5 bullets fired and 5 dead bunnies. Only bummer was some slobs have been turning my spot into a rubbish disposal site. Bastards.

Hope everyone is well!

C2DBBA07-27B9-4591-AABD-19E503443836.jpeg

congrats well done, still too hot for me to get out there. I too take BP & heart meds and this heat just doesn't work for me.

Reactions: WaterDawg
slim chance but would be nice if the pheasant population was to grow out there. But they will be killed off be for that can happen.

slim chance but would be nice if the pheasant population was to grow out there. But they will be killed off be for that can happen.
Lots of nice alfalfa growth right now, but I’ve only seen a few pheasant over the years. I’m sure there are some honey holes left for those in the know.

Reactions: sportyg
Lots of nice alfalfa growth right now, but I’ve only seen a few pheasant over the years. I’m sure there are some honey holes left for those in the know.
I think alfalfa farming is one of the issues. It can be cut more frequently in the IV than other places. Every 33 days I believe.

Reactions: WaterDawg

Alfalfa is the death trap for pheasant...Pheasant love to nest in it...Unfortunately, alfalfa is cut every 37 days...Gestation for a pheasant from egg to chick is about 44.

Alfalfa is the death trap for pheasant...Pheasant love to nest in it...Unfortunately, alfalfa is cut every 37 days...Gestation for a pheasant from egg to chick is about 44.
I never put those two timelines together. That explains a lot Steve.

I never put those two timelines together. That explains a lot Steve.

The greatest of times for our IV pheasant was during the asparagus boom...Nothing could get into that steel wool...They also loved sugar beets...Not much of that these days either...I was told that sugar beets near the ground and under the leaves was 20 degrees cooler...They're also watered a lot...Which creates bug water...Essential for chicks.

The other large factor are the ditches...Most get sprayed with Round-Up...I'm sure that doesn't fare well for chicks or any other creature.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu