Fun weekend...

The Deer Guy

Apr 4, 2016
Well late post but I got out with the wife for a fun weekend. We were fortunate enough to spend 3 days up in the mountains camping at lake henshaw and chasing nothing but Jake's. After passing on lots of Jake's and some fun action, I let my wife take the 1 Jake I allow her per season. It was a nice bird but we both learned that heavy metal turkey is pretty much terrible. Her shot was 40.5 yds and the birds head had a decent amount of blood and pellet holes but not enough power to fully penetrate. After hitting it in the head he bird flew 50 yds to its death. After that we spent some quality time passing on Jake's and killing rattlers.

Good luck out there for folks,
Josh
P.S. wear your gaiters or snake boots

IMG_0216.JPG IMG_0217.JPG IMG_0218.JPG IMG_0220.JPG IMG_0223.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
That's awesome Josh! Congrats. Yeah I head similar issues with heavy metal. It works great for me on ducks but I read that a lot of people had a rough time with it for turkey.

Reactions: The Deer Guy
That's awesome Josh! Congrats. Yeah I head similar issues with heavy metal. It works great for me on ducks but I read that a lot of people had a rough time with it for turkey.

Thanks Gen! Yea it was pretty ugly. I got it on film and you can see that she made a perfect shot but when I cleaned it the pellets were just sitting beneath the skin. They didn't penetrate the neck or skull.

Reactions: Matagi
Josh,

Great week-end......Fun hunting with you yesterday too......Those 6 jakes we passed on will be longs next year.....;)

ps.....And yes, the Hevi-Metal loads patterned terrible too.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu