Future Dove Poppers

SurfNHuntSD

Oct 1, 2013
San Diego
www.sandiegoturkey.com
Hit the IV with @barretwm for opener which turned out a bit weird but overall was a lot of fun as usual. The forecast called for heavy rain in the afternoon of 8/31 but luckily it wasn't pouring when we got in around 3pm. Scouted my opener spot then met up with @SDLIVIN and @Turkeynugs for a euro shoot, which was epic. No rain but the wind turned on and kicked up an insane amount of euros for us. I dropped 14 before we got rolled by wardens and, right after they left, the wind went away and so did the euros.

When we got back to the hotel, the rain and thunder turned on hard and lasted into the night. Opener morning we were hopeful though since it cleared up and we thought the birds would be out in force. But my spot, which usually produces, was super slow. The birds that did come in were coming from weird directions; nothing like how it was in years past. I still managed 12 (lost 5) and @barretwm did about the same. We moved back to the euro spot but things had really died off by then and called it.

Of course we forgot the obligatory kneel-in-front-of-your-bird-pile pictures so had to settle for the birds on a plate pic. @barretwm got a cool pic of me with my headlamp on at sunrise though. Fun times in the valley!

20210901_155412.jpg

20210831_173500.jpg

IMG_0971.jpg

CA wardens rolled you guys...really? Do tell?

Not much of a story. We were hunting right off a main road (you'd be proud) so they rolled up and checked licenses and shotguns. They were cool but it took awhile. By the time they were done the birds were done too.
Designed to hurt buddy..don't forget it..and yes..I'm kicking myself in the ass for actually hunting large mammals instead of the dove today....I hate myself .had a few on the road...but no shooters..

Reactions: SurfNHuntSD
Not much of a story. We were hunting right off a main road (you'd be proud) so they rolled up and checked licenses and shotguns. They were cool but it took awhile. By the time they were done the birds were done too.
Thats a shame, they’re usually pretty quick.

Hit the IV with @barretwm for opener which turned out a bit weird but overall was a lot of fun as usual. The forecast called for heavy rain in the afternoon of 8/31 but luckily it wasn't pouring when we got in around 3pm. Scouted my opener spot then met up with @SDLIVIN and @Turkeynugs for a euro shoot, which was epic. No rain but the wind turned on and kicked up an insane amount of euros for us. I dropped 14 before we got rolled by wardens and, right after they left, the wind went away and so did the euros.

When we got back to the hotel, the rain and thunder turned on hard and lasted into the night. Opener morning we were hopeful though since it cleared up and we thought the birds would be out in force. But my spot, which usually produces, was super slow. The birds that did come in were coming from weird directions; nothing like how it was in years past. I still managed 12 (lost 5) and @barretwm did about the same. We moved back to the euro spot but things had really died off by then and called it.

Of course we forgot the obligatory kneel-in-front-of-your-bird-pile pictures so had to settle for the birds on a plate pic. @barretwm got a cool pic of me with my headlamp on at sunrise though. Fun times in the valley!

View attachment 50536

View attachment 50537

View attachment 50538
Nice platter of dove!

Nice plate of breasts Jason. Funny how 12 dove seems slow when the limit was only ten just a few years ago. Major storm left our Brawley spots a muddy mess this morning but we persevered and found a dry patch to get our limits of mournings plus a nice dose of ECDs. Fun as always. Very few hunters in our area compared to years past. Made for great shooting but kinda sad at the same time.

Nice plate of breasts Jason. Funny how 12 dove seems slow when the limit was only ten just a few years ago. Major storm left our Brawley spots a muddy mess this morning but we persevered and found a dry patch to get our limits of mournings plus a nice dose of ECDs. Fun as always. Very few hunters in our area compared to years past. Made for great shooting but kinda sad at the same time.
Right on Kevin, glad to hear you guys shot well. It just wasn't that steady flow of birds that we usually get, or those flurries where you're constantly reloading.. it was more of onesies and twosies then long waits with nothing. Also, some poor shooting lol...

The mud was a pain.. definitely got some cleaning to do. Not Salton Sea mud but still.

Reactions: WaterDawg
It was nice when she tried to put 12GA into a 20GA. There might have been a snide remark uttered. To her defense she did say that she works the OC and does mostly fishing.

Great report grats on the doves, No doubt the sunshine warriors stayed home due to the weather hence less hunters.

Reactions: IVhunter
Maybe I’m missing a joke here, but cleaning a dove takes all of about 30 seconds.
Man, I would love to have you meet my friend. His wife plucks the entire bird and he set off to cleaning out the cavity with hemostats. I never timed him but, I know we got back from an evening hunt and miss supper at the local slop hall because he was just half way done. I'm thinking 8 mins per bird with rest for some brown about every other bird. That is a must. He also critiques each and every shot he took to down each individual bird while operating on it. I shit you not.

Man, I would love to have you meet my friend. His wife plucks the entire bird and he set off to cleaning out the cavity with hemostats. I never timed him but, I know we got back from an evening hunt and miss supper at the local slop hall because he was just half way done. I'm thinking 8 mins per bird with rest for some brown about every other bird. That is a must. He also critiques each and every shot he took to down each individual bird while operating on it. I shit you not.
Lol! To each his own I guess.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu