game cams

2 weeks is my minimum to feel like I got a good sample. I have also left a cam for like 3-4 months over the summer in a higher density area just to get a good representation of what’s living there.

Depends on area, the more remote, the longer I let them stew. In off season, about every 6-8 weeks. June-Aug I will check every 2 weeks minimum unless there are no deer and then it gets taken down or moved. All depends on your area and how well you know it and the animals..

Ok. Yeah, this sort of a new area for me. It's obviously a long established waterway. I'd just never seen any water in it before with the drought and all. With all this rain we had it's got a pond going on now! and still has moving water going thru it! And covered in tall grass too. And it'd provide a easy place to walk thru for sensitive antlers, I'm figuring.

Crossing my fingers. Was able to position the cam so it could point down along this fairly straight part of the water pathway. Put it in Hybrid mode to so it would snap pics then take a short vid.

It's super thick in there. Figure if I get the evidence I think I will get... that I'll need to plan a day trip out there figure out sit spots and do a bunch of trimming/cutting to make little hidden cubby holes I can hunker down in, yet still see things coming along that waterway. Make an excellent Bow spot. Although I'm hoping to take something with the Marlin 1894 .44

I was trippin out to because upon arriving near the area I jumped a lone female Mallard! That whole area is NOT a place you'd think of seeing a duck, like at all. I figure she must have been en route to somewhere else and spotted the little bit of water as a resting spot from the air. Like they do with the swimming pools in peoples backyards in my neighborhood.

Reactions: Dawnandusk
Cams are a lots of fun..
I like seeing all the critters. Lol
But before I even set cams,
I look for lots of deer sign.
Old school here...
At my age I can't get picky any more.

Reactions: Dawnandusk
I don’t, or ever had a trail cam. How many do you guys set out?

Some people set out a whole bunch. But whatever you can afford. I only have two. Batteries add up. Thing of it is, ya gotta go back in to get 'em, so you're committed to at least two outings at each place you set them out at. So you have to be realistic in terms of how many you choose to put out. And it's cool to use the memory cards that utilize MicroSD's in an adapter... then you just buy some cheapie Android Tablet that also has a MicroSD slot on it, and you've now got something you can view the pics with out in the field. OR... there are also lil adapter things you can plug the cards into then plug'em into your cellphone to preview. I prefer the larger screen of the cheapie tablet for viewing them. That way I'm not unnnecssarily burning cellphone battery power.

Reactions: Nuevo
I have been putting two per spot in different zones. 8 total. They have been out about a month, will check them before I draw and then concentrate them in the zone I end up with.

Reactions: Nuevo
Here in the "16" you don't have to walk long distances on public land to get cool pix....My SIL puts out 2 or 3 cams and does well....All of mine are on private (6).

ps....72 Kirkland batteries for 20 bucks.

.HUNT0099.JPGSUNP0461.JPG

Reactions: Nuevo and TRICER
I *highly* recommend you DO NOT use any Kirkland batteries in any device that you like and you want to keep on using for any length of time. I've had extremely poor performance with those Kirkland batteries in terms of them rupturing and damagin devices by belching that corrosive stuff out inside of the devices. Just my $.02

I routinely hunt about 4x spots in the "16" (All public land) and have 20 cams spread out between those spots. Some of the spots are many square miles in area. It helps you to nail down the 'Zones" that most frequently hold the deer. I just moved 2 cams last night and did 10 miles after work. It is fun, gets you out in the woods and builds the legs/lungs. I never question the "Sweat Equity" I put into the caming game as I know it pays off in the long run.

Having that many cams I buy amazon batteries and have had good results with them. Like 8-10 Months. And I use high sensitivity so they are taking lots of pics.

My .02

Try to get the best balance of low/fast trigger speed, high resolution, and night-time illumination distance you can afford.

I use Moultrie. You can get a W35 for about $45 bucks or so with free shipping from ebay. They have never let me down. Take good pics and do not break the bank. There are far better ones out there but cost way more ($200 or more) plus you have to worry about getting it stolen on public land. With SD card, batteries and lock (Master Python) I am in about $100 for each cam. Absolute necessity as far as I am concerned as you will get a lot of night time pics as the deer switch to becoming more nocturnal as hunting pressure increases. For me, it is a must have tool much as OnX is. I dont think I would be as successful locally on public land without it. Period. I can see if there are bucks in the area, and generally gives me a good idea of the kind of bucks, whether spikes, forkies or larger. If none, then I can move on.

My .02

I use Moultrie. You can get a W35 for about $45 bucks or so with free shipping from ebay. They have never let me down. Take good pics and do not break the bank. There are far better ones out there but cost way more ($200 or more) plus you have to worry about getting it stolen on public land. With SD card, batteries and lock (Master Python) I am in about $100 for each cam. Absolute necessity as far as I am concerned as you will get a lot of night time pics as the deer switch to becoming more nocturnal as hunting pressure increases. For me, it is a must have tool much as OnX is. I dont think I would be as successful locally on public land without it. Period. I can see if there are bucks in the area, and generally gives me a good idea of the kind of bucks, whether spikes, forkies or larger. If none, then I can move on.

My .02
That's dedication brother..
I like you style..
If I had the time and energy.
I would do the same..

That's dedication brother..
I like you style..
If I had the time and energy.
I would do the same..

Thanks for the kind words..! Much appreciated. It's a labor of love for sure. Being successful in the local zone (Public land) takes a lot of time and effort. No shortcuts to success, just a lot of hard, damn work, but I enjoy the challenge and the journey. Deer fascinate me. Maybe consume is a better word?? :joy:

Thanks for the kind words..! Much appreciated. It's a labor of love for sure. Being successful in the local zone (Public land) takes a lot of time and effort. No shortcuts to success, just a lot of hard, damn work, but I enjoy the challenge and the journey. Deer fascinate me. Maybe consume is a better word?? :joy:

So... who consumes who? o_O

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu