game cams

It depends what you’re looking for. If you just want to know if there’s deer in the area put them out any time. If you’re looking for a specific buck or you want to know about antler size in the area put them out during antler growth, which changes from zone to zone, state to state.

Walmart has the Tasco’s for $28, if your going to out them on public go cheap so if they come up missing not a big loss. Most hunters respect another hunters gear but you never know who will wonder by out there.
i was looking at those or some of the cheaper wildgame innovations. both seem like they take decent pictures.

Reactions: Bronkorob
You'll want to start getting them out now... just so you can figure out positioning and sensitivity settings on the cams. Especially if the area gets hot and there is a lot of brush and tall grass around. Because you may need to mess with the sensitivity settings to turn em down a bit. And experiment with mounting them up higher. Otherwise... on a hot windy day the cam might detect the movement of nearby vegetation and you come back to find out the cam has burned up the batteries in just 2 days time taking 4000 pics of almost nothing.

What's the minimum amount of time you guys let a cam "soak" out there? I know you don't want to go tromping your scent all up in places too much... so what's like a good minimum amount of time before going back out there to swap cards? I think I did like a month or maybe 6 weeks top in prior years. Or do most of you guys go longer than that?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu