Going to dabble in a new zone this year. northern d15

oscar

Feb 2, 2018
Corona ca.
Just paid my license and tag draw. Put in for x9a (another point) and d14 again. I have been looking into hunting an area that closer to me. I live in corona and it takes me 3hrs to get to my area in d14, that pretty much makes any trip out there an overnighter at the least to be worth while. It would be nice to be able to get to know a place closer. The thought of being able to leave my warm bed head out for a scout or hunt and be back the same night is pretty appealing. I shied away from this thought last year since the shooting regs of riverside county are tough to get a read on. I looked them up and am now confident I can keep myself out of trouble and break no rules. I'll pick up a d15 tag otc this year and give it a shot. Anybody have experience with this area? Favorite ways in? Pointers? Things to look out for? Places to avoid? I'll be getting my but out in the field soon. I also got my upland bird stamp this year to try my luck with quail. Should be fun.

D15 on my list to drop some cams in, going to AO it probably. Planning on doing some scouting in it this weekend, Sunday before work is the only day I can get out for a few hours. Welcome to come along. Fire closure has a lot of areas closed untill right up to deer opener in the OC/Riverside parts of CNF. Still a few spots out there.

Be ready for some thick stuff when you're off trail. And some hoofin' it. Hangin' cams is an excellent idea. Also, you'd be surprised how close they sometimes can be near to places of human activity. Get a mesh fullface mask/hood for the bugs. Wear liner gloves, again, for the bugs. And be prepared mentally... when your buck goes down... the Yellow Jackets (-aka "Meat Bees") will come!

My suggestion is unless it has different seasons pick a unit and get good at it. Spend as much time as you can in D15 get off the roads look for remote water or hard to reach areas and start to figure it out. Don’t spread yourself thin between two not so great units focus on one and master it.

D15 on my list to drop some cams in, going to AO it probably. Planning on doing some scouting in it this weekend, Sunday before work is the only day I can get out for a few hours. Welcome to come along. Fire closure has a lot of areas closed untill right up to deer opener in the OC/Riverside parts of CNF. Still a few spots out there.
Wow thanks for the invite, thats something I don't take lightly. Wish I could, but that lands on easter Sunday. Wifey wouldn't take to kindly to me bailing on a family gathering.
Thanks for the closure order. I plugged that area in my onxmaps. Looks like bedford is one of the only ways in. how long do you plan on letting your cams soak?

Be ready for some thick stuff when you're off trail. And some hoofin' it. Hangin' cams is an excellent idea. Also, you'd be surprised how close they sometimes can be near to places of human activity. Get a mesh fullface mask/hood for the bugs. Wear liner gloves, again, for the bugs. And be prepared mentally... when your buck goes down... the Yellow Jackets (-aka "Meat Bees") will come!
Thanks for the advice i'll pick up a facemask. Thick stuff is good, keeps the road hunters out. Meat bees is a problem that I would love to have.

My suggestion is unless it has different seasons pick a unit and get good at it. Spend as much time as you can in D15 get off the roads look for remote water or hard to reach areas and start to figure it out. Don’t spread yourself thin between two not so great units focus on one and master it.
I completely agree. I put a lot of work in d14 last year and plan to again this year. d15 is so close I have to check it out. If I like what I see I may put all my time and resources there next year.

The bad thing about north D15 is to get off a road the elevation changes like 1000’, all the foothills are pretty much private or county owned. The Holy Jim burn area should be nice and green though with the fire and all the rain but wont be able to scout it before the open.

The burn area will be closed for some time, couple years at best. Make sure you get your on x maps so you can stay on public ground. Most of the deer in Northern d15 are on park or pvt land.

nice spot, Thanks for the pics. Looking at maps its a lot of up and down no way to get around that. How did you get in? Looking at all of the current road closures it seems like silverado is the only way in right now.

The roads are closed to vehicles but open to hiking and biking, you can park outside the gates and hike it in except in the closure area. Depending on location you may need an adventure pass to park, $5 a day or $30 annually. The pics make it look passable but its 60 degree angels all around, stuck in the peeks or valleys. Super grown up so will be blazing your own trail to get off the roads.

Yea @Larry , north end of CNF, south of 91.

Reactions: oscar
Bring a pair of Fiskars Loppers. They have one that's really light and packable and can do almost an inch thick branches. They're great for lopping off dead branches to use for ground blinds.

Yeah... in D15 you gotta learn to embrace the thick. And look for corridors thru it that they are gonna take. I don't bother with North of the 74 though.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu