Good luck to all the youth hunters tomorrow.

well, my son and I roosted a small group with two shooters Thursday, slipped in an hour and a half before shooting time with hopes to harvest a bird early and get a pancake breakfast in.
Thought we were set up for success...nope the group of birds were gone. not a putt, yelp or gobble.
He was determined to wait it out all day which we did.
unless the birds move in while we zonked out they just weren't there.
Any insight or suggestions as to if they just move out of the area or what you've experienced would soften the blow.
Had a great day nonetheless20210320_140428.jpg20210320_073135.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are sure where they came from before they went to roost then I would think either something scared them out of roots or they flew down before you got set up. I'm assuming you did not hear fly down.

no fly down, no wings a flappin
sat 250yds away and walked in from opposite direction
not another hunter all day.
Just chalk it up as it wasn't our day.

this was his first bird 6 years ago

well, my son and I roosted a small group with two shooters Thursday, slipped in an hour and a half before shooting time with hopes to harvest a bird early and get a pancake breakfast in.
Thought we were set up for success...nope the group of birds were gone. not a putt, yelp or gobble.
He was determined to wait it out all day which we did.
unless the birds move in while we zonked out they just weren't there.
Any insight or suggestions as to if they just move out of the area or what you've experienced would soften the blow.
Had a great day nonethelessView attachment 48411View attachment 48412

Lots of things can make them change roosts or leave an area...The most common this time is year is, they're in full dispersal...Meaning they're moving everyday till the hens (with toms following or pushing hens), find a suitable area they like...The other can be predators in the area...Be it 2 legged or 4...Also, once hens start laying eggs, she'll roost closer & closer to her selected nest site, until she has 12 eggs...Then she stays on the nest.

Good luck the rest of the way...The season should get better as hens start nesting more & the toms start loosing them.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu