Good news for Chukar

I know the quail around me have all had double hatches this year love the pics Steve

very late harvest in the valley with the winter wheat, could be a epic year there too

Reactions: ilovesprig
Where do you find the reports? I found a pretty big covey of mountain quail last deer season in a spot thats kind of hard to get to, I’m thinking of going after them this season with my air gun. I doubt they get hunted much if at all because of the location.

Awesome pics Steve. Was that Cal in the cowboy hat? The Baja Bug is rad too.

I've definitely noticed a few more quail in the couple times I've been out recently. Hoping for a good bounce back year. Always wanted to try chasing the chukar..

Love your old pictures , you remind me of my uncle's around your age and great uncle's I never seen them in camo mabey once in awhile in there old military green jackets if cold morning but most always Jean's boots and flannels and they always got something. I think modern day hunters worry about expensive camo way to much....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Love your old pictures , you remind me of my uncle's around your age and great uncle's I never seen them in camo mabey once in awhile in there old military green jackets if cold morning but most always Jean's boots and flannels and they always got something. I think modern day hunters worry about expensive camo way to much....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Totally agree and I'm always kidding the guys on here... :joy:

Jason,

Yep, that's Cal in the cowboy hat...Chased those chukar in the desert from the time I met him in the fall of 1968 at USC...A lot of quail & chukar met their maker up there.

Great pics, I think I recognize the general area of that bottom pic. Yesterday as I drove back from the Sierras with the family around 6pm, a male and female Quail ran and flew across the 395 in the Owens Valley, never seen that before. Then again years ago, one summer I saw a covey of chukar feeding off the gravel on the 395 right before Red Mountain and it was a lousy year for birds ?

Great pics, I think I recognize the general area of that bottom pic. Yesterday as I drove back from the Sierras with the family around 6pm, a male and female Quail ran and flew across the 395 in the Owens Valley, never seen that before. Then again years ago, one summer I saw a covey of chukar feeding off the gravel on the 395 right before Red Mountain and it was a lousy year for birds ?

That last pic used to be our go to spot in the lower Sierra's...It's now part of the Mojave preserve and where that picture was taken can no longer be driven too...They (NPS) also destroyed the old cattle drinker that was up this canyon...:mad:

.scan040.jpg

That last pic used to be our go to spot in the lower Sierra's...It's now part of the Mojave preserve and where that picture was taken can no longer be driven too...They (NPS) also destroyed the old cattle drinker that was up this canyon...:mad:

.View attachment 44862

I thought that last pic was in the area between Hwy 178 and Indian Wells.... I like the above pic, must have been a cold night even for a young hunter in the 80s

I thought that last pic was in the area between Hwy 178 and Indian Wells.... I like the above pic, must have been a cold night even for a young hunter in the 80s

Darn close...Walker pass/Kiavah Wilderness area...That was a day trip...Just a lunch break...Loved hunting the snow.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu