Got into em decently today

D16hunter

Jun 28, 2012
San Diego
Killed 19 pigeons yesterday between me and my dad in an hour and a half. One of them was an all white one. Then met up with Johnny aka sdbirds and 9 other guys we knew making a total of 12 of us in our group. We scouted a field Johnny saw earlier that day hoping to find where to hunt today and they're were a lot of birds so we decided to hunt there today.
We woke up at 4 this morning to post up on the field an hour before shooting light so we'd have a good spot and as it turns out we had plenty of space to hunt only other cars were on the field that wasn't a part of our group.
At legal shooting light the birds trickled in we started killing em. Then the pigeons came in and I got distracted by them and didn't get my limit of doves I was maybe 5 away. But I did pretty good on the pigeons at one point a few hundred pigeons landed in an area without people so I walked up to them and shot 3 with one shot when they all took off at 10 yards. All in all a pretty fun hunt. I only have pictures of yesterday's pigeons I'll have to get more pictures of them all later
d2b654fec8aca3497135aa184736135e.jpg
223afce7689ade78b359658455a1eb11.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

be careful, a warden yesterday was giving citations for Rock Dove (pigeon) cant shoot em.

Big Jim said:
be careful, a warden yesterday was giving citations for Rock Dove (pigeon) cant shoot em.
lol that wardens full of crap to put it nicely. Those guys are complete (fill in the blanks) on the opener. Pigeons are fair game

NBK said:
Nice shirt Luke....
Thanks I love my SCH shirt. I wish I'd looked closer at the angles and had gotten it so you can clearly see the logo on the shirt

Snake Charmer said:
misprint on the rock dove reg's.(nongame species), you can shoot them.
Hey, this is United's owner (Black lab), not sure if you remember us. Are you sure we can shoot the pigeons? Did you talk to a warden? I also saw the warden stopping people so I didn't want to risk it. It would be great to clear up this issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Great hunt Luke.

For my own info while at work tried googling and was not getting any hits.

All I find was something about if a racing pigeon gets whacked its a fine. And while hunting band tail pigeon if rock pigeon gets whacked, its allowable. Sketchy at best. I am on the fence. I would side with Steve and be cautious.
Unless some one can find more info.!

Ghost

Good Morning Guys... I just texted Game Warden Rodney and he said its legal Shoot them! :)

ivhunter said:
Good Morning Guys... I just texted Game Warden Rodney and he said its legal Shoot them! :)

Keep that text or get it in writing......It clearly states that it is illegal......If you get a game warden other than Rodney or Jason (locals in the IV)......You could be going to court..... :(

Just another reason to love the way the IV works......this weekend will be a mad house I'm sure many a tickets will be written....

got this off the ca DF&w website.

Shooting barnyard pigeons?
Question: What is the law when it comes to shooting common or barnyard pigeons? After discussing this with a number of friends and hunters, no one seems to have a definitive answer. Can you help? (Jeff S.)

Answer: Barnyard pigeons or “rock doves” are the feral progeny of domesticated pigeons, and their take is not regulated by the Fish and Game Code. While there is no limit for barnyard pigeons, don’t confuse them with bandtail pigeons or racing pigeons. If someone hunting barnyard pigeons outside the bandtail pigeon season accidentally kills a registered racing pigeon, they could be in trouble and cited with a misdemeanor (Fish and Game Code, section 3680). The chance of this happening is very low though.

http://californiaoutdoorsqas.com/category/regulations-2/fish-and-game-code/

Ghost

MJB said:
How can they write tickets just crazy......

Thanks for the link

Mark,

Because it's in the Imperial County regs. And don't think for second they haven't discussed this "misprint"......I would think state regs would supersede.....I'm sure in a court of law you will win.....BUT and it's a big BUT, they know about 90% will not take the time to fight it.

Absolutely incorrect. The imperial valley commission releases the imperial valley regulation and made a typo on rock pigeon regulations 2 years in a row. I was stopped shooting pigeons and was told it was ok. I just contacted a warden this weekend in the valley and NO citation was writen regarding shooting pigeons. However a citation may have been wrote for shooting pigeons too close to a occupied dwelling. Wardens are not aholes. They are doing their job and when people try to circumvent the system they will cite you. Period. Don't lie don't cheat don't have a aholes attitude toward them they'll usually remember you and leave you alone. Go online and keyboard cowboy trash talk then your day will come. I don't make the rules I follow them

FISH AND GAME CODE
SECTION 3680-3686

3680. Any person, other than the owner thereof, who at any time, by
any means or in any manner, purposely takes any racing pigeon
currently registered with a recognized organization, is guilty of a
misdemeanor. However, the incidental take of registered racing
pigeons with the shooting or taking of wild band-tailed pigeons or
domestic pigeons (Columba livia), is not a violation of this section.

wackums back said:
Absolutely incorrect. The imperial valley commission releases the imperial valley regulation and made a typo on rock pigeon regulations 2 years in a row. I was stopped shooting pigeons and was told it was ok. I just contacted a warden this weekend in the valley and NO citation was writen regarding shooting pigeons. However a citation may have been wrote for shooting pigeons too close to a occupied dwelling. Wardens are not aholes. They are doing their job and when people try to circumvent the system they will cite you. Period. Don't lie don't cheat don't have a aholes attitude toward them they'll usually remember you and leave you alone. Go online and keyboard cowboy trash talk then your day will come. I don't make the rules I follow them

I think it's been clearly stated that the regulations had a "misprint" about feral pigeon, common pigeon, barn pigeon, or rock doves.....I also think that after 2 years that could have been taken OUT of the regulations by now, if they wanted too.....A warden who's not from the area and sees someone shoot a pigeon is only going by the rules he was given for Imperial Co.....Like I said earlier......Keep the text and or written statement of the legality of shooting them.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu