Got it done this morning on the second to last day!!

Shmee22

Apr 19, 2014
ffed024d9eed7778df81bbf09baac4c0.jpg

50005071318__8372FF87-148A-4F87-A1A7-65FCE028CCFB.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Will post story tonight once the work is done!! Lol

congrats!
maybe i heard your shot. can't wait for the story.

Sorry it took me so long to post the story but here it is.

Starting with opening week I decided to hunt an area that I found during the archery season, and of course there were a lot of people in the spots I wanted to watch. I decided to hike a little further and watch a hillside which was about 500 yds away at the time. I stopped walking and glassed the hillside and spotted two legal bucks off the bat,I decided to quickly take the shot because the deer were on the move. I shot twice and missed both times and the deer ran off....
Got back to camp with my head down and decided to check my rifle and scope and noticed the ring mounts were loose, I ran down the hill to grab my 7MM mag. Next morning I went to the same place to have another shot at those bucks. We glassed them up at about 750 yds and decided to not take the shot and hope that nobody would get them during the week.

We didn't see those deer the next couple of weekends and we were starting to get discouraged. The last weekend I decided that I was going to go off of a hunch I had and hunt a little farther right of the area I originally saw those bucks opening weekend with the hopes that the hunter pressure pushed the deer over in that area. I was right! As soon as I reached the area I wanted to sit and watch right next to a canyon that had oaks and led into an open sage area, I saw two does feeding. I sat and watched in hopes they weren't alone when 2 minutes later two bucks ran up the canyon. I took the first shot at the deer that gave me a clear broadside shot, unfortunately it was the forky and not the 3x3, but since it was the last weekend I wasn't going to take any chances.

My shot hit him in the neck and exited his lung. He dropped dead in his tracks with the 7MM mag that my dad gave me 2 weeks earlier so it was a cool experience to be able to break it in.

Dragging the deer out was the hard part!! 4 miles to the truck with a deer that weighed in at 140 pounds dressed out. The experience was totally worth the pain and this was definitely my most memorable hunt so far.

I'd like to thank all you guys on the forum that encourage and help out a lot. Especially Nicholas909 for giving me a lot of info on the area which helped me find this area in the first place.

Last edited:
I'm happy I was able to help and I'm glad you were able to knock one down. It's a good looking buck.
A great way to break in a new rifle.

Last edited:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu