Grandsons first pig.

GUNDOGLOVER49

Aug 14, 2020
I took Carter up on a pig hunt in Central Ca. UGH. He hunted with Nessen Schmidt guide Service. Old Nessen is no longer taking hunters out, he has three guides he is now using. Nessen and his daughter came over to meet us at the Abode, He hasn't changed mush in 25 years. Still a vodka drinking shit kicking cowboy, a real character, for sure. The hunt stared off with a bit of crappy luck, the barley field we were going to hunt was locked in with dense fog, so we moved on. We saw a ton of sign, tracks, crap, and fresh trails. Two of the water holes even had fresh, still wet tracks leading away from them, we seemed to be 15 minutes late no mater where we went. His dog, Bean finally picked up a good scent, so Rocky cut him loose, and down the canyon he went. A short time later we heard him yelping, so Carter and Rocky started down the hill, I staid back to keep a watch on the quad :). I heard Rocky telling Carter too, shoot that pig. Well, the pig was on a dead run at over 100 yards, and this being his first hunt, he was real nervous, and struck out. We jumped in the quad, and Rocky was tracking Bean, so flying, and I mean flying down the road we went around the hill clear to the other side. Bean had gone quiet, so Rocky Called him in. We continued on until about 12:30 when Rocky picked up ears wiggling in the shade of some bush about 250 yards away. Hard as he tried he could not direct Carter to the right spot, and because we were on a steep hill, the top of the quad blocked my view. They finally decided the only way to get Carter on the hogs was to climb the hill to see if they could get a better angle, once again I stood watch over the quad:). About 20 mins later, I heard what I have been waiting to hear for a couple of years now, his 30-06 let out a loud report, music to grandpas ears. A short ime later , down they come with Carter dragging the nasty critter. I damn near cried, okay maybe I did. One very proud, happy, and reliefed Papa. First hog, 225 yards. He must have had a decent instructor.Resized_20230809_131442.jpeg

Attachments

• Resized_20230809_142521.jpeg
    Resized_20230809_142521.jpeg
    269.6 KB · Views: 36
I meant to reply to this sooner... Such a great story GunDogLover, glad your grandson had an adventure..

My son and I had a similar adventure with Rocky.. My wife let me splurge on a guided hunt because my son's medical condition was deteriorating so quickly we wondered how many more hunting trips he had in his legs (positive side note, after much prayer and with some expensive arthritis medications his joint pain is manageable at this point and his hunting future is looking so much better).. So we booked with Nessen Schmidt and headed up there for what we thought might be my son's last big hunting trip - and we weren't disappointed.

Bean (the dog) spooked a giant hog at about 75 yards early in the morning by barking.. and it seemed like we were going to have to work all day to find the next one. Spotted a bruiser 650 yds out and off we went up a ridge to get a more level shot. My son hit it from 175 yds out and the excitement began with Bean chasing and fighting this boar in the bushes.. Some WILD side-by-side driving and the boar charging us at one point (literally ramming the side-by-side with us in it), fifteen minutes or so later the pig was gassed, and stood broadside for us at 30 yds where he was dispatched. The story was one for the ages with a huge pig down. Couldn't sing the praises of Rocky and that dog loud enough - those memories will last forever. I got a snippet of video at one point when we were setting up for a potential second shot and still love listening to Rocky calling that stubborn little dog every name in the book trying to get him off the pig..

Side note, took some coworkers who'd never hunted before back up there months later, and we got Rocky and some other dude who I can't remember his name. He was a grumpy a-hole, who did nothing but complain and talk sh!t, which was the last thing you'd want from a guide when taking some first-timers out. We all got pigs, and a couple of big ones, but if I were ever looking to head back up there I'd do it on the condition we got Rocky and Bean. Luckily my buds were thick skinned and didn't let the a-hole guide ruin the enjoyment we got that day.

If anyone on here is ever looking for a pig hunting adventure, I'd recommend them. .

I meant to reply to this sooner... Such a great story GunDogLover, glad your grandson had an adventure..

My son and I had a similar adventure with Rocky.. My wife let me splurge on a guided hunt because my son's medical condition was deteriorating so quickly we wondered how many more hunting trips he had in his legs (positive side note, after much prayer and with some expensive arthritis medications his joint pain is manageable at this point and his hunting future is looking so much better).. So we booked with Nessen Schmidt and headed up there for what we thought might be my son's last big hunting trip - and we weren't disappointed.

Bean (the dog) spooked a giant hog at about 75 yards early in the morning by barking.. and it seemed like we were going to have to work all day to find the next one. Spotted a bruiser 650 yds out and off we went up a ridge to get a more level shot. My son hit it from 175 yds out and the excitement began with Bean chasing and fighting this boar in the bushes.. Some WILD side-by-side driving and the boar charging us at one point (literally ramming the side-by-side with us in it), fifteen minutes or so later the pig was gassed, and stood broadside for us at 30 yds where he was dispatched. The story was one for the ages with a huge pig down. Couldn't sing the praises of Rocky and that dog loud enough - those memories will last forever. I got a snippet of video at one point when we were setting up for a potential second shot and still love listening to Rocky calling that stubborn little dog every name in the book trying to get him off the pig..

Side note, took some coworkers who'd never hunted before back up there months later, and we got Rocky and some other dude who I can't remember his name. He was a grumpy a-hole, who did nothing but complain and talk sh!t, which was the last thing you'd want from a guide when taking some first-timers out. We all got pigs, and a couple of big ones, but if I were ever looking to head back up there I'd do it on the condition we got Rocky and Bean. Luckily my buds were thick skinned and didn't let the a-hole guide ruin the enjoyment we got that day.

If anyone on here is ever looking for a pig hunting adventure, I'd recommend them. .
Ya, Rocky sure does fly in that quad, literally left the ground a couple times when bean was chasing the hogs up and over the hills, we had to get to the other side, so flying we went. the first hog I got years back I hunted with Nessen himself, actually I hunted with him when I got my second hog and third hogs. The first one tore up his dog lucky real bad before I got a shot at it, Nessen sreamed shot the f*&%ing pig. Which I did. Good to hear your boy is doing better. My nephew had real bad psoriatic arthritis, and was having real hard time gettin around. Once they finally diagnosed his problem they prescribed meds. which got him back to somewhat normal.

Last edited:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu