Great Books I read in the last year

TRICER

Dec 20, 2014
tricerusa.com
So I am a big reader and I love a good book. I also listen to a lot of audible books while on the road you would be surprised how many books you can go through on that one hour up to the hills or when you are doing 8 hours to a Arizona or Northern California. I read my bible every morning, and I am always listening or reading a business, christian, or outdoors type book. I have gotten hooked on Mountain Man books and wanted to share some of the books that really stood out over the last year that I feel are applicable to this site. These are all books that will be appreciated by any hunter or outdoors man. Warning some of these books are not politically correct!

"American Buffalo" by Meat Eater Host Steven Rinella. This book has a plethora of knowledge on the Bison and you will not be able to put it down.

"The Revenant" Author Michael Punk the book is way better than the movie hands down and it is a quick read

"The Big Sky" Author A.B Guthrie the way Guthrie describes the old west is incredible

"Crow Killer the Saga of Liver Eating Johnson" Author Ray Thorp this book is intense and not for the faint of heart

"A Sand County Almanac" Author Aldo Leopold this is a must read for any hunter or conversationalist Leopold is the god father of conservation and his attention to detail is poetic, beautiful, and it will change the way you look at our renewable resources

"Into Thin Air" Author John Krakauer This is the story of the 1996 Everest expedition that went way wrong the book is awesome and will give you a new respect for that big mountain.

Reactions: Muledeerhunter
Drew,

I've read "A Sand County Almanac"......Every time I hunt the Aldo Leopold Wilderness Area in New Mexico, I think about it.

Reactions: TRICER
Drew,

I've read "A Sand County Almanac"......Every time I hunt the Aldo Leopold Wilderness Area in New Mexico, I think about it.
If I didn't draw Elk in AZ I was going to apply
In and around that area for elk. On my bucket list for sure it is wide open wilderness almost no private land. Very hard draw.

I'm currently reading Steve Rinellas Adventures of an American Hunter, its really good as well. I plan to add American Bufflo soon. I also just got Hank Shaws Hunt Gather Cook as well as both his cook books Duck Duck Goose and Buck Buck Moose.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

An author, Michael McGarrity, wrote a trilogy that follows a family for 100 years, ranching in New Mexico. These three books are very good.

Hard Country
Back Lands
The Last Ranch

Reactions: TRICER
Steve, he is right, Amazon is your best bet, but they might have them at your local Barnes and Noble as well.

I would give you mine, but I gave them to my brother, and he is now sending them to one of my nephews. I always like to pass on good books.

For you Duck hunters, you may like this book I just finished. It is all about Market Hunting (illegally) in the early 1900's. Techniques and stories I found fascinating...Also available on Amazon
51fbh2HDzCL__SX343_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Reactions: PyroTekRob
I also listen to audible like crazy on my weekly drive from Elsinore to Palo Verde and back.

I've been on a history kick lately and have been absolutely riveted by the biography of Washington, Adams, Franklin, etc. as well as Lincoln and Grant civil war era stuff.

Right now my favorite business book is "Good to Great".

Resurrecting an old thread... awhile back someone recommended this one to me and said it's the greatest waterfowl book/guide ever written. Though an oldie it's still a goodie, and along with The LeMaster Method, these are my favorite duck guides to nerd out on.

P.S. used books on Amazon suck.. they gave me one with a badly torn cover!
87f7d81b688dfb988f0b58b1502b9cab.jpg
3c10651f5b55a0bab1a2f4d6d4455d66.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I recommend anything written by Jim Harrison, He wrote the pre-screen text of "A river runs through it" movie and many other great books and is in my opinion the greatest late 20th century american author. You can never go wrong with John Steinbeck (The grapes of wrath) and Earnest Hemingway as well as O'Rourke and his safaris

Reactions: Muledeerhunter
Jason,

That is the 1st book I bought when I started waterfowling (still have it)…..The newer editiion like your is much better (I have it as well)…..Great book

Reactions: SurfNHuntSD
I recommend anything written by Jim Harrison, He wrote the pre-screen text of "A river runs through it" movie and many other great books and is in my opinion the greatest late 20th century american author. You can never go wrong with John Steinbeck (The grapes of wrath) and Earnest Hemingway as well as O'Rourke and his safaris
Cormac McCarthy, in my opinion, is the greatest living American writer.

Blood Meridian
All The Pretty Horses
The Road. (One of the great books of the
last 30 years, again, imo.)

I will pick up a Harrison book. I am a big fan of both Hemingway and Steinbeck.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I read:
DESERT WIFE by Hilda Faunce (about life in a Trading post amongst the Navajo and Ute)
BLOOD AND THUNDER by Hampton Sides (Kit Carson, nuff said...)
Off topic, I read EISENHOWER, In War and Peace by Jean Edward Smith (fantastic read)

I am addicted to used places that see used stores

Places thats sell used books. Last year I ordered a collection of Safari books by Jim Corbett which detail his Tiger hunts in India but I have not finished any of them yet.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu