Great opening week

8SteelTown

Got a call from StikBrandon on an opportunity to hunt Niland for the opener. Never been to the IV for opening day so gave it a go. Got there plenty early and a couple guys we were meeting already had spots staked out. At first light our field had about 10 guys on a good spread. Other fields were popping off before ours. 1 here, 2 there, then waves of 10, and then a 30 minute span of doves in all directions. Very cool experience. Hardest part was not forgetting where the downed birds were and taking too many to cause lost birds. The white wings were out in force making up easily 75% of the birds. Everyone on the line limited in a little over an hour with almost everyone getting 10 white wing and the rest mourning. Stik dropped a couple Euros too. Only took a post cleaning picture of my own so you'll just have to take my word for it.

Went out this morning for my 2nd hunt day. Low fog kept it nice and cool. Went to 2 morning hot spots for flyway shoots. No birds were moving like I expected. Not sure if opening day they got hit hard and were kicking back or what. Went to 5 of my spots and got 1-2 per spot. 7 birds off 8 shots w/ 1 double.
While cleaning the birds, I saw one of them had a half breast completely green. Thought it was gut juice coming out of the shot hole. After breaking the breast away, the green was marbled in the meat and the whole way through the breast. Gave me the heebie jeebies. It was the last bird and from shot to cleaning was about 2 minutes. Anyone seen anything like that before (would not wash away with water)?

Ghost said:
great hunt.

my thoughts, it is an infection. not good.

Ghost

Same thing I thought. Glad i pre-plucked the chests to expose it. Would've been bummed if it was something and I contaminated the other birds. I had a DFW Warden checking on me right before this too. Would've liked to have gotten his opinion.

Like Big Jim said.. it's probably been shot before. I've had euros before with heavy scarring like that, but usually more yellowish and not as green. Had to toss the meat as it couldn't be salvaged.. looked pretty nasty.

Big Jim said:
I have seen this before, its a previously wounded bird by lead.

Yep....... ;D

And great going Jesse......167 guys on Wister Tuesday......I'm sure that kept them moving on both sides of the road.....No incidents reported...... 8)

ps.....Never saw a dove on Wister today..... :(

Thanks guys. I love this time of year. Not sure whether it's a magical brine I use but everything seems to taste like steak. (Duck, Dove, Cow). Over the years of hunting dove, sad to say that I've never eaten them as anything other than bacon wrapped poppers. I cooked some up with butter, fresh cracked peppercorn, kosher salt, in a cast iron skillet. So amazing like steak. 60 seconds on each side. Badda bing... Badda boom.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu