Grouse hunting?

canyon00168

Jan 2, 2014
Anyone hunt grouse in CA? I am interested but know very little about the species and where to find them... Thanks!!

I found that as well... I guess what I am looking for is anyone who has hunted grouse in CA to give me their 2 cents rather than read on the DFG website.

A friend of mine and one of his friends drew a hunt near Crowley. They hunted hard, with a dog, and found only 1 small group of birds. My friend shot one, but they could never get back on that group. After trying for a while to get his buddy on birds, he went back to camp with the dog to rest, and soak in the hot springs, while his buddy continued to hunt. While sitting there relaxing, a couple of 50-something treehugger women pulled up in a van, disrobed (down to their birthday suits), and jumped into the hot spring with him like it was nothing. He's a happily married man, of course, so was a gentleman.

I could probably get my friend to turn over the GPS numbers for that hot spring, if I twist his arm a little. Just shoot me a PM.

I've hunted blue grouse quite a bit around Big Pine to Mammoth, but it's been a long time (80's)........The best hunts I had were in Big Pine Canyon.......Very, very big country and get ready for lots of steep walking to get to the alpine meadows or springs (8-10,000' level).......Horton Creek, Magee Mt, & Laurel Mt. are slightly easier, but it just depends where you find them.......Damn tough bird to hunt.

El Matavenados said:
A friend of mine and one of his friends drew a hunt near Crowley. They hunted hard, with a dog, and found only 1 small group of birds. My friend shot one, but they could never get back on that group. After trying for a while to get his buddy on birds, he went back to camp with the dog to rest, and soak in the hot springs, while his buddy continued to hunt. While sitting there relaxing, a couple of 50-something treehugger women pulled up in a van, disrobed (down to their birthday suits), and jumped into the hot spring with him like it was nothing. He's a happily married man, of course, so was a gentleman.

hahahahaha twist my arm hahahaha

I could probably get my friend to turn over the GPS numbers for that hot spring, if I twist his arm a little. Just shoot me a PM.

I see blue grouse as I'm hiking into climbs up there with some frequency. I'll be heading up on the 15th for a family trip to Rock Creek (above Tom's Place, just south of Mammoth). I'll be taking my two English Setters and plan and doing some grouse/mtn quail hunting. I'll check in when I get back and let you know how it goes.

Sage grouse hunting in CA is by permit only, see the regs for how to apply for next year.

Kellendv said:
I see blue grouse as I'm hiking into climbs up there with some frequency. I'll be heading up on the 15th for a family trip to Rock Creek (above Tom's Place, just south of Mammoth). I'll be taking my two English Setters and plan and doing some grouse/mtn quail hunting. I'll check in when I get back and let you know how it goes.

Sage grouse hunting in CA is by permit only, see the regs for how to apply for next year.

Thank you that would be awesome!!

Welcome to the SCH website Kellendv and Canyon 00168!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu