Guide to learn from

Zachappa

Nov 4, 2018
Hi,

I'm late to the hunting world and I wanted to jump start my spot and stalk skills by getting a guide. (been reading books, post about books and scouting local d16 whenever I can)

Any recommendations on guides and types of hunts?

Zach,

The only guides I know of work out of the MCC hunting club (Lake Henshaw)....Must be a member to use them....Quite a few guys here on the site that are looking for a hunting partner.

ps....There is a certain outfitter north of us in the A zone....I've heard he has pretty good spots and success ratio....;)

Reactions: nicapopolis
If you want to learn to hunt big game I can’t emphasize enough the importance of learning to hunt coyotes. Get some Camo and an e called and get out in the hills. You will learn areas, learn the wind, learn how to set up on game etc. Hunting coyotes has been a big part of me being successful on other hunts. You can do it all year and you learn a lot about game and hunting.
As for a guide go on a pig hunt up north.

Yes all good advice, my thoughts was he could partner up with an other hunters... And check with giant sequoias guide. Some of the guys have used him. For pig an other game. Good place to start as well.

Chasing small game like rabbits and quail is a big help too. Might not help your spot and stalk skills at first but while you're in the field you'll stumble upon deer trails and hopefully start getting an understanding of how our deer move about.

Reactions: TRICER
Make sure you know what’s in season. Most everything is down until fall. Coyotes and Jack rabbits are good to go. Ignorance and inexperience don’t go over well with game wardens. Know the rules. No lead after July 1 either.

Zach,

The only guides I know of work out of the MCC hunting club (Lake Henshaw)....Must be a member to use them....Quite a few guys here on the site that are looking for a hunting partner.

ps....There is a certain outfitter north of us in the A zone....I've heard he has pretty good spots and success ratio....;)
Stevo..I think that guide also has property in D ZONE, he may have an opening...he,s kinda staunchey and jaded after all the years..but he does finish often. L.O.L..

Reactions: ilovesprig
Make sure you know what’s in season. Most everything is down until fall. Coyotes and Jack rabbits are good to go. Ignorance and inexperience don’t go over well with game wardens. Know the rules. No lead after July 1 either.

Who's this mysterious person?

Originally i was going to do a boar hunt up north, but after to a few guides, it didn't sound like what I was hoping for.

Drive, see pig, shoot pig , go home.

Exactly nic!!! Sorry guy..i dont no of any guide thats gonna drive by hogs to make the hunt harder and longer
..but good luck son!! Post um when you murder him!!

I definitely oversimplified it and didn't intend to discredit anyone.

All the conversations I had with guides is that they scout the ranches ahead of time and so it's over really quickly with pigs.

I'm hoping to learn about scouting and figure out how to do it myself on public land.

That be a hefty check to right for sure...but ya, for what you want..youd be better hooking up with a dude that is local and willing to take the time to show a new guy everything and anything there is to know about hunting large mammals ..
Larry may be able to help a brother out in that aspect...stay the course!

Also..., and trust me on this, it will be way easier for you to over simplify your thoughts and techniques on hunitng , than to overthink your thoughts and techniques moving forward ....seems to be way to much of that these days with the internet and all, lots of failure to go along with the over thinkers...jus my 1.5 cents..

Also..., and trust me on this, it will be way easier for you to over simplify your thoughts and techniques on hunitng , than to overthink your thoughts and techniques moving forward ....seems to be way to much of that these days with the internet and all, lots of failure to go along with the over thinkers...jus my 1.5 cents..

Exactly.....:blush:

Reactions: HATCHET1
One time I went hunting on the way home from the dentist one evening... stepped out of the truck... kapowww.... neighbor even walked over to help me drag it.

I didn't even have time to put on my camo or scentblocker.

.20181011_175142.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

This is gold. You just have to have a desire to explore and learn. You have to want to be out there. You have to want to enjoy the process and be ok with the outcome being uncertain. Go forth, sit on your ass and glass until your eyes bleed. Find game trails, look at animal turds, find water sources, figure out where they like to bed. Enjoy being outside.... and just keep showing up. Success will come if you just keep showing up.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu