Guns While Car Camping

I have a friend that was camping in his camper 200 ft off the road, his rifle was loaded for protection, a ca f&g person was checking guns and he told HER that it was loaded, she ejected the shell and closed the bolt and put it back in the case loaded again with the safety off. He took it to court with a lawyer and lost, the lawyer said if he wanted to spend more $ he could fight it some more but was just throwing away his money
[/QUOTE
Sucked the big one.. see can't be to careful.. no loaded arms in vehicles.
I didn't know the rifle leaning on a vehicle.. to me that's BS.
Even thou I believe it's a safety issue, that's some BS...

It's clear folks, read the reg's, As I said earlier a loaded gun in contact with a motor vehicle will get you a citation period no questions asked. Try it and see what happens in this state, I guarantee you that and would bet on it, You will walk away with a citation. Try it and see what happens. Don't do it. Lawyers will take your money if you want to spend it on lost causes every day of the week.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
I was told in hunters safety class that ammo needed to be in a separate and locked container when in a vehicle. I’m not certain the instructor was fully aware of fish&games rules because he had wild boars in a barbed wire enclosure and claimed the holes were from wild hogs breaking into his enclosure not from his boars breaking out :)
At first I would always put ammo in the glove box (separate locked container) but after a while I just put them in the back with my long gun.

Regarding your camping, I would call the ranger in your area and ask them. They will be the ones you are working with anyway if someone checks in on you. Definitely get the dispersed camping permit. If you do that then they are already at ease (seeing your license plate number) when they roll up on you.

Reactions: TheGDog
Instructors for Ca fish and wild life do it as a sideline and are not part of the department other that giving instruction . Listen to them at your own risk and again I say do your home work. I nominate Sprig to be our local instructor But I'm guessing that won't happen considering how screwed up this state is and Steve not wanting to get tangled up in that mess. We love you Sprig as a brother in arms and I wish you could help but I think we are to far gone for any of us to make a difference. Chime in Steve and tell us what you think..

Instructors for Ca fish and wild life do it as a sideline and are not part of the department other that giving instruction . Listen to them at your own risk and again I say do your home work. I nominate Sprig to be our local instructor But I'm guessing that won't happen considering how screwed up this state is and Steve not wanting to get tangled up in that mess. We love you Sprig as a brother in arms and I wish you could help but I think we are to far gone for any of us to make a difference. Chime in Steve and tell us what you think..

Fred,

I considered it while back, but at 71, I still have plenty of irons in the fire....My friend and mentor, Paul Conner, passed away this year....He was a really good instructor and I wanted to follow him, but with his passing, I've lost some of my desire in get involved....Still being a San Diego Fish & Wildlife commission is something I still enjoy....In our meeting yesterday, it was mentioned that each of us (commissioners) should set a goal for our supervisors....This is how we got the youth turkey hunt in a county park....I guarantee you my goal will be hunting or fishing related....;)

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu