Guns While Car Camping

Baldkrash

Aug 4, 2013
Anyone have insight as to the law on keeping a fire arm with me while camping in the national forest by sleeping in the back of my truck? (It has a camper shell if that matters)

I have seen the exemptions from Pen Code where i can carry while in the act of hunting and fishing, and where i can have my firearm in a "persons place of residence, including any temporary residence or campsite."

Is sleeping in my vehicle considered a "campsite? in the national forest?

Any thoughts?

Yes talk to a lawyer.
As long as your rifle is in a hard case
And locked.
And your not in an area that prohibits firearms.
Don't forget you NF permit for camping.

SIDE NOTE: In some wilderness areas you have to submit and get approved an Overnight Camping Permit. On that application you specify your vehicle and its license plate number. Date range you plan to be there, and description of where within there you intend to be.

It helps the rangers so when they see a vehicle there for several days, they can check their list and know it's not an uh-oh situation where somebody seems to have not returned to their car and we need to call in search and rescue.

RE: Firearm at vehicle. I think I remember it stating it has to be locked while driving. (Or while you are away from the vehicle and you've left it there in the vehicle) You sleeping in the pickup bed is clearly not you driving.

The spirit of those parts of the law was to address the issue of drive-bys, so you should be good. I'd just make sure you're not parked actually on the road and you should be good.

Certainly you are allowed to have it at the ready while sleeping for the purposes of defending yourself.

Yes talk to a lawyer.
As long as your rifle is in a hard case
And locked.
And your not in an area that prohibits firearms.
Don't forget you NF permit for camping.

You don't need to have a long gun in a locked case. See below

SHOTGUNS AND RIFLES
Nonconcealable firearms (shotguns and rifles) are not generally covered within the provisions of California Penal Code section 25400 and therefore are not required to be transported in a locked container. However, as with any firearm, nonconcealable firearms must be unloaded while they are being transported.

Dang that not what I heard for transportation of long guns in a truck. Better dig some more.
It can be locked in a trunk of a car.
But needs to be locked up in case in a truck. Keep digging prove me wrong. I will take it with a smile,:)

It appears Truduct is well partially correct.
Registered assault rifles must be in a locked case.
But I tell ya with all the shit flying right now I still keep it it in a locked case.
Read all of it a side arm has to be in locked case.
I would still keep digging
Protect your self and always be vigilant.. I see the hype going to a high pitch fever.
Do more than what you have to to stay within the law. Don't be border line to give an anti gun cop
The excuse to take your stuff.

Last edited:
But I tell ya with all the shit flying right now I still keep it it in a locked case.
Protect your self and always be vigilant.. I see the hype going to a high pitch fever.
Do more than what you have to to stay within the law. Don't be border line to give an anti gun cop
What if im not Transporting, just sleeping in a campsite?

I remember specifically reading it has to be a locked case during transport. And I'm nervous about it everytime I go out because I don't bother doing that. Because I want to minimize deployment time when I arrive at like 4a.

I figure the spirit of the law is preventing a user from being able to yank it out while driving, which I cannot do anyway since I'm Solo in the vehicle and it's in the backseat, since a pickup truck doesn't quite have a trunk. And I ain't about to put my guns in a pickup bed, no thank you.

They also want ammo stored in some other separate case as I recall. And I don't exactly do that either. But.. they are unloaded when in the case. I have the magazines out and beside them in the hard case, and if a revolver then unloaded and the shells beside it in the hard case. Again, just to waste less time upon my arrival so I can hit the trail pronto.
What if im not Transporting, just sleeping in a campsite?

Then it's game-on. You're not transporting anymore. You're at your destination.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
I remember specifically reading it has to be a locked case during transport. And I'm nervous about it everytime I go out because I don't bother doing that. Because I want to minimize deployment time when I arrive at like 4a.

I figure the spirit of the law is preventing a user from being able to yank it out while driving, which I cannot do anyway since I'm Solo in the vehicle and it's in the backseat, since a pickup truck doesn't quite have a trunk. And I ain't about to put my guns in a pickup bed, no thank you.

They also want ammo stored in some other separate case as I recall. And I don't exactly do that either. But.. they are unloaded when in the case. I have the magazines out and beside them in the hard case, and if a revolver then unloaded and the shells beside it in the hard case. Again, just to waste less time upon my arrival so I can hit the trail pronto.

Then it's game-on. You're not transporting anymore. You're at your destination.
Same here, but we are playing russion roulette ever time we go out.
Don't be supprized if hunters with be stopped and checked more often by mister green jeans. Which is now law inforcemen..
With the rhetoric now happening.

Thanks all. Pretty much confirms what I have read, and I too get nervous about “ interpretation”.

I don't even own a hard case....I transport guns in the back of my SUV's everywhere....Shells are near by....There is no law that says that it must be in a lockable container except for flying (LA Co. has something about ammo near by)....As far as camping in a NATIONAL FOREST, no problem....In fact, CNF you must be in legal pursuit of game when walking with a gun (no target shooting)....National or state park may have some different rules, but I drive thru Cuyamaca & Borrego state parks all the time....Never even think about....So, you should be good to go there too.

Dumb I agree,
Read the DOJ on my post.
Registered assault rifles must be locked so do side arms..

Long guns and shot guns no.
But I do it any way for over zealous
Law inforcemen..;)

If you are using your car as your place to sleep/camp out of then you are allowed to have open weapon for self defense, same as if you are in you home. for the duration of your camping trip, your camp is your home. And just for the record, AR does not stand for Automatic Rifle, it was the name of the Co. that first manufactured the weapon, ARmalite, Colt bought them out and retained the AR designation. All other manufacturers Make AR
style rifles.

Reactions: Muledeerhunter

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu