Halibut suggestions

HortoTheSlayer

May 17, 2018
Boise Idaho
I was lucky enough to be given some Alaskan Halibut and Salmon from my wife's friend but I've never had Halibut before. Any suggestions from those who are familiar with it on the best way to cook it? So far I'm seeing it mainly pan seared but just curious if anyone has a recipe they'd like to share.

Like all the flaky fish I cook, I like to keep it simple. I want to taste the fish not the ingredients. Lightly coat with olive oil, salt and pepper, a little dill and a light coating of parmesan. Bake at 360 deg. until just flakey. thickness determines the time required to cook. Sometimes I will just cook it on the stove top in melted butter with a little S & P. Just don't over cook. I do white sea bass the same way. Sometimes on the BBQ rather tan stove top.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
George,

My old roomie used to cook salmon on a plank (I think cedar) with just seasoning on it….It was delish.

I like halibut BBQ'd with real butter and garlic...The one thing I try to do is get it off right when it's done...Don't over cook...It dries out easily.

It looks like keeping it simple will be the way to go. I just noticed one of the packages says Halibut Cheeks..anyone have those before??

It looks like keeping it simple will be the way to go. I just noticed one of the packages says Halibut Cheeks..anyone have those before??
The cheeks of any fish are super tender.. like the oyster on a chicken or tenderloin on a deer. I'm thinking sear it in a hot pan, then make a quick sauce with white wine, capers, garlic, and butter.

Simple and tasty. Cut it to one inch thickness filets, marinade in italian salad dressing (olive oil, vinegar and spices) for thirty minutes (no more) as it is mild in flavor and will soak up the marinade and change the flavor. Use a hot charcoal or gas grill (350 degrees or plus). Use the Canadian cooking rule which is five minute's per inch, so if is an one inch thick fillet it's 2 1/2 minutes per side over high heat and you are good to go. P.S. Alaska halibut can thicker so trim and size accordingley. If you are doing cheeks detached from the head keep it even more brief maybe two minutes per side.

Keep The But simple flaky and light. For the salmon I like to soak a Cedar plank get the grill hot put the salmon on with a rub. The one I used is Rub with love (the brand) salmon rub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Going to definitely try it a couple ways! I like the sounds of a white wine butter sauce.
Another tip... the white wine butter sauce also works awesome with white meat like cottontails, quail, pheasant, and turkey breasts. My last batch of cottontails I did a variation on it with dijon mustard and some cream. Give it a try

Another tip... the white wine butter sauce also works awesome with white meat like cottontails, quail, pheasant, and turkey breasts. My last batch of cottontails I did a variation on it with dijon mustard and some cream. Give it a try
Can't wait to try it on all of the above! Good thing rabbit season is around the corner! Let me know when you get some free time so we can go hiking with our guns!

Meant to post the other night but for the first round I went with the pan sear and covered it in a beurre blanc (lemon, white wine butter sauce ) for the side my wife whipped up some bacon wrapped asparagus. She likes to add "everything but the bagel" seasoning to the bacon and it comes out great! The halibut turned out better then expected.

1103389331.jpg

Meant to post the other night but for the first round I went with the pan sear and covered it in a beurre blanc (lemon, white wine butter sauce ) for the side my wife whipped up some bacon wrapped asparagus. She likes to add "everything but the bagel" seasoning to the bacon and it comes out great! The halibut turned out better then expected.

View attachment 44673
Looks great! Nice job..

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu