Harold and Kumar go to San J

Would carrying a 10 gauge loaded with T shot and a 35 inch barrel enable me to extend my range without being considered a skybuster?

Merced NWR...25 and your done.

40 yds sounds easy enough, but when you have a "high" sky...They can look closer than they are...Error on the side of less than 40...Another way to get some judgement is walk out and put up a stick at 40 yds...It gives you some perspective of the distance...I almost always have my range finder with me...Decoys are set normally around 30 yds out.

Most ducks decoy to their own species...Hence, late in the season, I use drakes with a lone hen in different bunches...Mating rituals are in full bloom right now.

ps...Jeremy...You can get a wood duck screech out of a 6-1?

.View attachment 42669

I was watching a Bob Gardener video and trying to copy the ones he was doing with the 6 in 1. Was having a hard time with the mallard call and then set it down for awhile after many failed attempts and came back later and was able to get it out. Earlier when I was practicing I went out on the patio when I was done and had called in the crows, a few of them came in real close, probably looking for the dying duck.

I was making more wire rigging for the rest of the decoys and paired them up this time instead of having a bunch of individuals. I made a few mallard couples, and then have some bachelor sets and some bachelorette sets. I was reading they will start pairing up before and during migration but was not sure if actual drakes tolerate each other or if they act more like turkeys and run each other off.

I also have 6 pintail drakes I am going to run in a line and run a string into my blind to hopefully be able to give them a little movement. I was going to put the pintails out separated from the mallards, but wondered if different species interact in real life or keep mostly seperated? I had a mixed bag thrown out last time but going to try a different strategy this time on their placement.

This one of the stongest threads about waterfowling that to me should tell all the new watefowlers why you need a mentor and observe tradition. The comments about how to reach higher use any size legal shot (t-shot is not legal) and shoot anything legal that comes in front of you is poor judgement and will alienate you from the true old school waterfowl hunters that could if you treat them right might show you how to get it done . So Cal has very limited opportunities as far as waterfowl goes. I before I gave it up because of what I am seeing on this thread was given very good lesson's by folks that came before me as to how to respect the tradtion and pass it on. Sky busting is a no no period, you are chasing birds out of what may be another persons spread when you do that, When birds start to work let them decide where they want to be and back peddle and start to land before you raise your gun otherwise folks will poop talk about you and you will get no respect later on and will not get shared info later on when they see you are selfish. I have hunted goose refuges where a three bird limit was the way it was and you are not allowed more than nine shells with observors watching you shoot and if you shot at birds that were not back peddling into your dec's and landing you were ejected post haste . Back when that happened the twenty plus dozen hunters that participated got to know each other on a first name basis we even ran the draw without the refuge managers showing up. If you screwed up you were yelled at right then and chastised the next morning. The groups of us would let the birds work into the fields and quite often when that happened they would drag more flocks in and without anyone doing anything the birds would land all over the field and when because of what all of us learned someone would call it and all the blinds would kill. Saw the same thing in the duck ponds where there were no assinged blinds and we would let the birds work and let the best decoy setter and hunter harvest. I encourage all you new hunters to ask questions and seek out mentors and then you will understand and do it the proper way. With that everyone will benefit including you.

Larry at Wister, sure wish I could be there to see the show! Please make YouTube videos showing the blind selection process and how to place out decoys.

I was watching a Bob Gardener video and trying to copy the ones he was doing with the 6 in 1. Was having a hard time with the mallard call and then set it down for awhile after many failed attempts and came back later and was able to get it out. Earlier when I was practicing I went out on the patio when I was done and had called in the crows, a few of them came in real close, probably looking for the dying duck.

I was making more wire rigging for the rest of the decoys and paired them up this time instead of having a bunch of individuals. I made a few mallard couples, and then have some bachelor sets and some bachelorette sets. I was reading they will start pairing up before and during migration but was not sure if actual drakes tolerate each other or if they act more like turkeys and run each other off.

I also have 6 pintail drakes I am going to run in a line and run a string into my blind to hopefully be able to give them a little movement. I was going to put the pintails out separated from the mallards, but wondered if different species interact in real life or keep mostly seperated? I had a mixed bag thrown out last time but going to try a different strategy this time on their placement.
I wouldn’t worry too much about mallard behavior when throwing out your decoys, the only reason I throw out six mallard decoys is because I won them at a raffle, if i had not I would probably have some shovelers, gadwalls, or additional pintails in their place in addition to the six pintails and six wigeons that I currently throw out. I’ve only seen mallards at san jacinto a couple times, although a few get shot every day so it is possible.

From looking at Steve’s photo I need to spread them more. I had them hugged up right against the shore line last time, maybe 10 yards out. I probably only had 25 yards to work with, there was a channel that got deeper running parallel to the shore line, guessing its where the water runs to flood the ponds. I could step down into it but the unknow was how far into the mud I would sink. Some steps I would sink 2” and the next one would be like 6-8”. Hopefully the bottom is a little more hard packed than at Wister.

Jeremy,

Some spots are better, others are just as bad, if not worse, especially this late in the season...There's also deep water in places like the E blinds...Without a dog or waders for both of you, he would not give you those sites...Just be honest with him of your capabilities and he will suggest the best blind for both of you.

Another suggestion, if and when you knock down a duck and it's alive on the water...Shoot it again...Once they make the tulies (of which there's a lot in almost every blind), they're gone.

.008.JPG

Question: For you experienced ducker guys : What features should I be looking for in Chest Waders? I'll be somebody who is likely to not be using them all that much per year, so want to keep cost down. But at the same time don't want to buy one that sucks and is uncomfortable. Also I'm a bit on the thicker side these days at 5' 10" 230 Lbs, so I need one where when you sit down the inseam isn't getting pulled uncomfortably into your crack, if you get what I'm saying. Want to also be able to use it for surf-fishing at the Beach.

G',

There's really no cheap hunting waders (under a 100)...Shop around...Neo's are MUCH cheaper than breathable's normally...For as much as you go, get boot foot neoprene...Very useable for fishing too...2 cents

Yes they are cheaper but on the downside for us SoCal hunters, they are much hotter.

Yes they are cheaper but on the downside for us SoCal hunters, they are much hotter.

Ron,

No doubt about it and that's all that I use...But Larry said he didn't want to pay an arm and a leg...Even "cheap" breathables are north of $200.00.

ps...And breatables don't last worth a dime, if you fish in them much...Membrane or seems give out under the water pressure.

How do you guys that hunt in bootfoot waders deal with your boots sticking in the mud and having your feet slip out? I hunted with bootfoot waders for two years and the solution i found was to put velcro straps around the ankles, but that caused the ankles of the boots to be folded over which led to them eventually leaking. This year I went to stockingfoot waders and so far after two trips this year they’ve been staying on my feet real well.

How do you guys that hunt in bootfoot waders deal with your boots sticking in the mud and having your feet slip out? I hunted with bootfoot waders for two years and the solution i found was to put velcro straps around the ankles, but that caused the ankles of the boots to be folded over which led to them eventually leaking. This year I went to stockingfoot waders and so far after two trips this year they’ve been staying on my feet real well.

I have always bought boots that are one size smaller than what I wear...The newer breathable boots flex too...More snug fit on the foot.

These waders were just about the greatest deal ever...Academy Sports out of Texas...$69.99...Tons of great features and have last as well as any other high dollar breathables I've ever used.

p...Another tip...Don't put your waders on till you get to your blind stake...Keeps breathables from wearing out at the seam and neo's from making you feel like you've been in a sauna...:confounded:

.047.JPG

Last edited:
OK... yeah... that sounds like it tells me what I need to know. That bit about sauna. Sounds like I'd need to keep them off until I actually need them. But also sounds like they'd almost kinda be helpful for cold mornings though.

Steve, thank you sir.

Reactions: ilovesprig
N00b question, sorry... are waders meant to be worn over the top of hunting pants you've already got on? Or just by themselves acting AS your pants?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu