Hawaii hunt help

180ls1

Nov 2, 2020
Poway
I am headed to Hawaii (Maui) for my honeymoon in October and would like to get a hunt in (1 day). Can anyone give me any advice/tips? I'll share some thoughts below.

- I truly enjoy the challenge and learning on a hunt more so then shooting "x animal."
- I don't care too much what I hunt. $3K on an Axis *seems* like a waste if I basically walk out and shoot it with a rifle.
- Not sure how successful I could be with just 1 day on a DIY pig/sheep hunt?

Also, I found a pig hunt where they run them with dogs and you kill it with a knife. That sounds very intriguing since I've never hunted that way and we cant do it here. I'll probably donate some of the meat if anyone knows a good cause on the island please speak up.

Reactions: SurfNHuntSD
Hunt Fish Kauai - they got crossbow and archery pig hunts if I recall correctly. Fantastic reviews, and I did a fishing trip with them. I'd recommend it to anyone and I'll likely go back to hunt pigs at some point.

Reactions: 180ls1
The most important thing to remember on Maui is that ALL the deer on the island are on private land or heavily posted land [golf courses]. The second thing is that almost all the pigs are on private land. If you go for a trophy deer, it will cost you at least 3K for a hunt and that hunt will probably last only a few hours. You can go on a meat hunt [a couple does, each yielding about 40 pounds of boned meat] for about $1200, but it will be a 1 hour hunt. "See those two does about 75 yards away? Shoot 'em." Spent 14 years on the Big Island and have many hunting friends on Maui, but if you hunt public land for pigs there, it is just like hunting for pigs on public land in CA. There are herds of thousands of axis on Maui but they are worth a fortune to the land owners. Many once-a-decade big game hunters with wads of cash come over to be tourists, doing tourist things with their families, and squeeze in a morning hunt for a trophy axis buck. To them, $5000 for a 3 hour hunt is no big deal.

The odds of you getting a pig on public property [forget sheep, ALL on private land] are in reality zero. Check with DLNR on Maui and they'll tell you just what I told you.

The most important thing is this---Do you already have a car rental? If not, you'd better deal with that ASAP because there are no cars at all available on Maui. The very few rental cars left on the island are all booked.

Reactions: Wildgame
The most important thing to remember on Maui is that ALL the deer on the island are on private land or heavily posted land [golf courses]. The second thing is that almost all the pigs are on private land. If you go for a trophy deer, it will cost you at least 3K for a hunt and that hunt will probably last only a few hours. You can go on a meat hunt [a couple does, each yielding about 40 pounds of boned meat] for about $1200, but it will be a 1 hour hunt. "See those two does about 75 yards away? Shoot 'em." Spent 14 years on the Big Island and have many hunting friends on Maui, but if you hunt public land for pigs there, it is just like hunting for pigs on public land in CA. There are herds of thousands of axis on Maui but they are worth a fortune to the land owners. Many once-a-decade big game hunters with wads of cash come over to be tourists, doing tourist things with their families, and squeeze in a morning hunt for a trophy axis buck. To them, $5000 for a 3 hour hunt is no big deal.

The odds of you getting a pig on public property [forget sheep, ALL on private land] are in reality zero. Check with DLNR on Maui and they'll tell you just what I told you.

The most important thing is this---Do you already have a car rental? If not, you'd better deal with that ASAP because there are no cars at all available on Maui. The very few rental cars left on the island are all booked.

Wow, very helpful! Thank you! Sounds like you confirmed my suspicions regarding the private land Axis. I have no interest in that.

Generally speaking, is public land on the other islands just as tough?

It seems like the guided pig hunt with a knife is the way to go since I can and do chase them here in CA with a bow. Here is the outfit I found. https://www.lopakasalohaadventures.com/maui-pig-hunting

I killed a pig with my bow, missed two others, on Maui on public land...... Of course it was 2008.

Hunting is by far the best on the Big Island. You can go on a guided pig hunt for about $400 and a combo sheep [part feral, part mouflon] for the same price. I can give you the name of the best guide there. Public land pigs can be very, very good but you'll need a 4WD to do that. They are renting for about $2000 bucks a week in Kona. The knife hunt for pigs is a bit tricky. Watch some videos before you book a hunt. I have been on several but never again. The pigs are also quite small by CA standards---maybe an 80 pound pig would be average. But watch a few videos. This will not go over well, perhaps, with some who read it, but I have watched pigs being stabbed a dozen times, in the gut, legs, head, squealing and screaming, and once they are down the dogs tear them to pieces unless the hunters are able to pull them off. Your call. The Hawaiians love this style of hunting because it is the way they hunted historically. But if you are concerned about a quick, humane kill---well, watch some videos.

You need proof that you took Hunter Safety in Hawaii or an exemption. To get the exemption, you need to fill out a form, include the Hunter Ed certificate from wherever you took the course on the mainland, and send in. I don't believe there is a fee but it can take 8 weeks so better do it now.

Again, if you don't have a car rental, you may have a problem. Good luck.

Reactions: Wildgame
One last [I think] consideration. It certainly appears that Hawaii will be locking down again. To get in, you'll need proof of full vaccination and a negative covid test within 72 hours prior to arrival. The second vaccination shot must be at least 14 days prior to arrival. Hawaii is experiencing a spike in cases and Gov Ige has indicated that he will respond very shortly the same way he did earlier with the exception that you will now need the vaccination. No more quarantine since most tourists violate the quarantine requirements and the residents of HI are tired of the tourists bringing in COVID.

And, again, do you have a car rental?

Last edited:
I killed a pig with my bow, missed two others, on Maui on public land...... Of course it was 2008.
Man, have things changed since then!! A lot of public land is no longer open for hunting---same thing on the Big Island. About half of all the public areas I hunted in 2006-2010 on the Big Island are closed off or have been destroyed by poachers with dogs. I hunted private property almost exclusively after 2010. Glad I had "The Good Times." When I can't sleep at night, I think about all the pigs and cattle and pheasants I took on Tom Belcastro's coffee farm those 9 or 10 years, with no other hunters anywhere near me, and all the troubles disappear and I fall asleep. As soon as I can get a car rental in Kona [nothing at all there available now], I'm gone. Tom and his lovely wife are eager for me to show up. Lots of cattle and hundreds of pigs and just me.

One last [I think] consideration. It certainly appears that Hawaii will be locking down again. To get in, you'll need proof of full vaccination and a negative covid test within 72 hours prior to arrival. The second vaccination shot must be at least 14 days prior to arrival. Hawaii is experiencing a spike in cases and Gov Ige has indicated that he will respond very shortly the same way he did earlier with the exception that you will now need the vaccination. No more quarantine since most tourists violate the quarantine requirements and the residents of HI are tired of the tourists bringing in COVID.

And, again, do you have a car rental?
Hahaha, point taken on the car. We don't have one yet but have explored a couple of options so we should be able to get that covered. We're both fully vaxed also and I have both AZ and CA hunters safety courses.

Your prior post definitely gives me a lot to think about when it comes to that style of hunting.

Hahaha, point taken on the car. We don't have one yet but have explored a couple of options so we should be able to get that covered. We're both fully vaxed also and I have both AZ and CA hunters safety courses.

Your prior post definitely gives me a lot to think about when it comes to that style of hunting.
Be sure to send in the info to get an exemption. The AZ and CA certificates alone will not be accepted for a license. You need to fill out the paperwork along with your Hunter Ed certificates and then wait for them to send you the exemption certificate, then you can get a license. Also, the roads going into the hunting areas on any island are rough and you need a high clearance vehicle. Maui has a lot of deep mud so 4WD is a necessity.

Doc, I hear you The internet ruined Tejon, Laguna Rec Area & has changed hunting in baja

Doc, I hear you The internet ruined Tejon, Laguna Rec Area & has changed hunting in baja
We're turning into Europe in some respects. The best hunting is moving bit by bit onto private land and if you aren't a millionaire, you really have to scramble to find good hunting. Glad the USA has so much public land where the hunting is decent. You have to do more research and wear out more boot leather than before, but there is still decent hunting in the US. It's just getting harder and harder to find and harder and harder to get the decent tags.

Last edited:
The internet opened up for people that don't do the work to find a spot of their own........they look on line and go from there...... Of course people like me getting online telling stories and giving away too much information are really to blame.

Knifing pigs is easy no stabbing you stick them.
I pull one back leg up then put the knife under the arm pit and push it in-between the ribs then a little twist & your done, you know you did it right when they gush blood over your hand & knife!

Congratulations... and good luck. I don't think my balls are big enough to ask my new bride to spend one of our honeymoon days out hunting hogs. Good for you... Ed F

Reactions: 180ls1 and HATCHET1
Besides the car reservation make reservations at the restaurants you want to eat at also. My Daughter and SIL were on Maui two weeks ago. Couldn’t get into the restaurants to sit down. Had to order food to go.

I am headed to Hawaii (Maui) for my honeymoon in October and would like to get a hunt in (1 day). Can anyone give me any advice/tips? I'll share some thoughts below.

- I truly enjoy the challenge and learning on a hunt more so then shooting "x animal."
- I don't care too much what I hunt. $3K on an Axis *seems* like a waste if I basically walk out and shoot it with a rifle.
- Not sure how successful I could be with just 1 day on a DIY pig/sheep hunt?

Also, I found a pig hunt where they run them with dogs and you kill it with a knife. That sounds very intriguing since I've never hunted that way and we cant do it here. I'll probably donate some of the meat if anyone knows a good cause on the island please speak up.
Dog and knife pig hunt is an experience.. do it if you can. Nothing more authentic than running pitbulls and stabbin the hog with the braddahs lol. If you get one I'm sure the boys will know what to do with it.. no need to find someone to donate to. Just ask em if you can get some of the smoke meat when they're done with it. Nothing I love more than smoke meat and poi!

IMG_9748.jpg

20210508_171719.jpg

Man, have things changed since then!! A lot of public land is no longer open for hunting---same thing on the Big Island. About half of all the public areas I hunted in 2006-2010 on the Big Island are closed off or have been destroyed by poachers with dogs. I hunted private property almost exclusively after 2010. Glad I had "The Good Times." When I can't sleep at night, I think about all the pigs and cattle and pheasants I took on Tom Belcastro's coffee farm those 9 or 10 years, with no other hunters anywhere near me, and all the troubles disappear and I fall asleep. As soon as I can get a car rental in Kona [nothing at all there available now], I'm gone. Tom and his lovely wife are eager for me to show up. Lots of cattle and hundreds of pigs and just me.

Doc, check out Turo.com for car rentals. It’s kinda like VRBO for cars. I just took the family to the big island. It worked out great for us.

Dog and knife pig hunt is an experience.. do it if you can. Nothing more authentic than running pitbulls and stabbin the hog with the braddahs lol. If you get one I'm sure the boys will know what to do with it.. no need to find someone to donate to. Just ask em if you can get some of the smoke meat when they're done with it. Nothing I love more than smoke meat and poi!

View attachment 49839

View attachment 49840

Thats awesome. Do you like knife hunting? I finished a spine shot deer once with a knife and it was interesting haha.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu