Headed out for the first time this week

MasonP

Nov 21, 2021
Finally, my .308 is out of CA gun jail, the rain has stopped, my new boots have been delivered, and my rifle scope has been zeroed. Picked up the Savage Axis .308 from jail a few days ago, headed promptly to the range down the street from the store with my old man and got her sighted in. Took about 30 rounds (at WAY too expensive of ammo prices) but its ready. Monday I pick up my new boots (old ones were too narrow, ordered a wide size) and a sling for the rifle. Headed to a spot in D15 that my newbie "e-scouting" has determined to be decent. Water not too far, not giant canyons but relatively easy to scale slopes (as opposed to my last outing) and peaks that look like they have a very good 360 degree view. New bino's in a harness, pack is packed, and tuesday morning I should be able to get up there just before sunrise (its about a 60min drive from my house...welcome to SoCal hunting I guess?)

I think I will sit until an hour or two after sunrise, hike along the trail for a while, and decide if I want to sit again until sundown. License in hand in case any 'yotes are spotted and Im in position for a good shot, but otherwise, some time in nature, maybe some looking around for deer sign.

EDIT: I guess the title should be headed out for the first time LEGIT, since all my other outings were more hiking than hunting, as I didnt have a rifle with me

Last edited:
Maybe after 3 to 5 rounds the rest were just for fun and practice.
I wish. The scope was horribly attached and "factory bore sighted"

Even cranking the MOA 16-20 clicks (which should have been 4-5") it was only moving the round about 1/4 to 1/2 inch. It was a nightmare getting it done.

I wish. The scope was horribly attached and "factory bore sighted"

Even cranking the MOA 16-20 clicks (which should have been 4-5") it was only moving the round about 1/4 to 1/2 inch. It was a nightmare getting it done.
What kind of scope, was it a new one? If so, I would take it back, unless you contribute some of the issues too operator error. That does happen.

What kind of scope, was it a new one? If so, I would take it back, unless you contribute some of the issues too operator error. That does happen.
Came new on the Savage Axis. Some guys seem to have it great out of the box, others not so much, seems like it depends on how it was cared for during transit. Some of it was operator error, I am by no means an expert marksman, especially with trigger pull, but even my old man (who was a SWAT sniper and trained EXTENSIVELY on 308 long rifles) was struggling with the scope. We finally got it on point though.

How far did you start sighting in process?...25 yds and lowest power...Never had an issue with those cheapy Bushnell scopes or the Savage.

Last edited:
I got myself a nice but inexpensive bore sighter years ago and without a doubt it paid for itself in no time in ammo saved. Ammo all shot through borrowed firearms. :)

How far did you start sighting in process?...25 yds and lowest power...Never had an issue with those cheapy Bushnell scopes or the Savage.
25 yards, lowest power...moved out to 100 yards with the highest power on the scope

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu