Heads Up! Special Notice for regulations for the Upcoming San Jacinto Wildlife Area Junior Hunt

fish dog

Apr 28, 2015
Johnson City, TN
Tom Trakes wanted me to get the word out to all the Junior Hunters and their adults regarding the regulations that the SJ Staff have to go by for the upcoming Junior Waterfowl Hunt on Saturday, February 5th. Tom wanted to get the word out on this as they simply DO NOT want to have to turn away any Junior Hunter just because they (or their responsible adult) didn’t know.

There are some state and federal regulations that everyone needs to be aware of for Junior Hunters participating in the SJWA Junior Waterfowl hunt. (see below)

Jr Hunt Info Flyer.jpg

If we want to go just for the pancake breakfast, how much does that cost? Or would it be better to just bring something for the raffle?

Eric,

I have some issues with this information....Pretty sure you must be under 16 years of age to be considered a junior....Pretty sure you don't need a duck validation unless you're over 16 (I actually think it's 18) and you do not need a federal stamp until over 16 years of age.

Our rules have similar requirements at NWTF youth hunts...A youth hunter can be over 16...He just needs a junior hunting license.

Also, junior hunters are not required to have a day pass.

Last edited:
If we want to go just for the pancake breakfast, how much does that cost? Or would it be better to just bring something for the raffle?

You can possibly help someone that doesn't know the system or a blind...Then help out...I bring a dog to help find them...All get served breakfast.

Eric,

I have some issues with this information....Pretty sure you must be under 16 years of age to be considered a junior....Pretty sure you don't need a duck validation unless you're over 16 (I actually think it's 18) and you do not need a federal stamp until over 16 years of age.

Our rules have similar requirements at NWTF youth hunts...A youth hunter can be over 16...He just needs a junior hunting license.

Also, junior hunters are not required to have a day pass.
As per our other discussion, I'm happy to change it if Tom advises it's wrong. This is straight from him and he was given a copy to approve before it went out. Since he's going to be the one checking people in Tom would be the one to contact about that. As they say, don't shoot the messenger.

As per our other discussion, I'm happy to change it if Tom advises it's wrong. This is straight from him and he was given a copy to approve before it went out. Since he's going to be the one checking people in Tom would be the one to contact about that. As they say, don't shoot the messenger.

Not shooting anybody...Just saying this is wrong...The flyer posted was from when under 18 was considered a junior.

ps...So as you interpret this, a 17 year old can hunt the junior hunt?...I have a kid that was not allowed to buy a junior hunting license because he's 17...He now has a adult license...So, can he hunt this week-end per this flyer?

Not shooting anybody...Just saying this is wrong...The flyer posted was from when under 18 was considered a junior.

ps...So as you interpret this, a 17 year old can hunt the junior hunt?...I have a kid that was not allowed to buy a junior hunting license because he's 17...He now has a adult license...So, can he hunt this week-end per this flyer?
Yes. Federal considers under 18 as Junior (or youth). Waterfowl falls under federal rules.

Yes. Federal considers under 18 as Junior (or youth). Waterfowl falls under federal rules.

I stand corrected...Apparently, there's a difference between a junior & a youth...Found this.

Junior/Youth Hunter Summary​

15 yrs
old,
or
under
(youth)
16 yrs
old,
w/Jr
license
(junior)
16 yr old w/ Adult license 17 yrs
old (w/ adult license)
18 yrs
old
Participate in In-Season Junior Hunt?YesYesNoNoNo
Participate in Post-Season Youth Hunt?YesYesYesYesNo
Needs a Junior Hunting License?YesYesNoNoNo
Needs an Adult Hunting License? No NoYesYes Yes
Needs a HIP Validation?YesYesYesYesYes
Needs a Type A Pass?NoNoYesYesYes
Needs a Federal Duck Stamp?NoYesYesYesYes
Needs a State Duck Stamp?NoNoYesYesYes
Needs an Upland Bird Stamp?
(only if hunting Pheasants)
NoNoYesYesYes
Needs an Adult accompanying them on regular hunt days?YesNoNoNoNo
Needs an Adult accompanying them at a Junior
or Youth Hunt?
YesYesYesYesN/A

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu