Heavy arrow build

I haven’t killed to many deer with my bow but I shoot 100gr mech tips and not over 50 yds but I seem to get through penetration in less it hits a shoulder or large bone. I shoot 70 lb pull but went down to 60 lbs, since one time In KS I was so cold I couldn’t pull back the bow. I shootA Bow Tec Experience now and before that an Air Bourn 101. I think you would be limited to 30 yds or less with that heavy of a tip. IMO
So I might be going out east in October to hunt whitetails with a buddy in GA and it gets super thick out there with 30yds being about the furthest shot we'll get..that's why I wanted to mess around with the heavier arrows..just looking to get solid penetration including if I hit a bone.

Ashby is considered the extream end of the spectrum when it come to weight and FOC by lots bowhunters.

It's a deer or elk not godzilla.

30 yards would be a extreme handicap for me. Not worth it. Ive shot thru a deers upper humerus ball with 405 grs at 250fps at 45 yards and had a deer stop 425grns at 270 fps at 25. Depends alot on the deers reaction to the arrow in my opnion.

Current arrow 450grn at 270fps, 175grns upfront in insert, collar, and head.

To each thier own.

Last year I killed an elk, pig and javelina with a 370 grain setup ("too light for hunting"). It worked well, did great the years prior as well on other animals. That setup would give Ashby a heart attack but it smashed everything I shot even with a 3 blade head. The onlt thing it didnt pass through was the elk @54 yards but was hanging on to the fletchings.

This year I'll be at 480 grains with a little quicker bow. I'm sure it'll smash them too. I wouldn't get overly concerned one way or another.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
Also, my arrows now are 190 grains (head, insert and collar) up front and needed a 250 spine to tune properly but I also have a 31" draw and 30'' shaft. I'm guessing you'll need that stiffer spine.

I’m at 300 spine, 55g insert, 200g single bevel broadhead- 563g total arrow weight with 22% FOC.
If you can get to 550 and have perfect flight you’ll kill anything you want. The Natal study was all about penetration and lethality. Don’t worry about weight and FOC as much as flight. Knock tune and play around with what works with your bow. Everyone should want a complete pass through shot and a lethal quick kill. This is far superior to light arrows and mechanicals.

Last edited:
One more thing - you are in control of the trajectory (distance) you’ll be shooting. Heavy arrows carry more momentum (and force) over distance than light arrows. If you sight in your bow, you can shoot heavier arrows as far as you feel comfortable. Kinetic energy is not momentum or force.

Probably a cheater way to do it but one way to do it is to email nockon and let them know what you want, the percent of FOC and they tune it really well for you based on your bow, draw length, and FPS. I have done both, bought them from nockon and made my own. The best rule of thumb that someone mentioned earlier is the inserts weight. You want a good spine and a quick arrow that is based on your draw length and weight. Build up the front weight of the arrow and test it like you would reloads for a rifle. I use four vane arrows so they are a little rear heavy which I need since I am averaging 18% FOC. My groupings are tight out at the Morley field range hitting the 80-, 90, 100 yard shots with relatively tight groups. Also, a cheaper smarter way to do this is to have 3-6 arrows made of different weight and flex, each arrow a little different like your reloads for long range shooting. Clarifying the last sentence one arrow at 450g 14% FOC, 475g 16%, etc.

OK....All this talk is mind boggling (kind of like long range rifles)....So, I shoot 60 lb G-3, 32" draw, 350 Victory arrows, and 100 gr. Grim Reapers...Every deer I've killed (4) the arrows have been complete pass thru's....Am I just lucky, the "16" bucks are soft, or is it I just don't shoot very far (longest was 34 yds) to make a difference?

I like Ed F's K.I.S.S......What am I missing?

It’s all a trade off. Almost everything in archery is. If my max range was 20-30 yards, I would be using a very heavy arrow as well, why not.

But I’m shooting deer, not Cape buffalo. I am very happy with my setup, 425 grain arrow, 15% FOC. Shot placement is key.

Same could be said about rifle calibers. Up until last year, I hunted deer with a .243 and some say that is a marginal caliber. It has never let me down. Make a smart shot, pass on the marginal ones, that is THE most important factor.

OK....All this talk is mind boggling (kind of like long range rifles)....So, I shoot 60 lb G-3, 32" draw, 350 Victory arrows, and 100 gr. Grim Reapers...Every deer I've killed (4) the arrows have been complete pass thru's....Am I just lucky, the "16" bucks are soft, or is it I just don't shoot very far (longest was 34 yds) to make a difference?

I like Ed F's K.I.S.S......What am I missing?
I feel its similar to the long range rifle stuff Steve but a little less confusing (that stuff hurts my head) but yes you won't notice the difference much under 40yds but it's just a way to geek out on your arrows..but I agree as most have mentioned it really comes down to shot placement..

Reactions: ilovesprig
I feel its similar to the long range rifle stuff Steve but a little less confusing (that stuff hurts my head) but yes you won't notice the difference much under 40yds but it's just a way to geek out on your arrows..but I agree as most have mentioned it really comes down to shot placement..
Yeah, truth be told were probably better off at the range working on our form or out in the field actually hunting them but its fun to geek out sometimes.

I'm hoping my heavier setup will be more durable but honestly I'm not holding my breath. It kinda feels like a waste looking back.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu