Hello from Alberta

Stefanie, Jacob, & Mike got here yesterday...They settled in and we took them out for the traditional mallard shoot on the 1st evening...28 mallards later the boys & I were done (after I got my 8, I scouted)...Found a really loaded pea field a couple days ago and it's been getting better every day...This morning was the morning we were going to shoot it...3,000 specks did not come back after someone shot the roost pond right at shoot time (30 minutes AFTER sundown) last night...Started off slow, then the far away kl./specks (white-fronts) started bombing in...After about an hour, we had our limit of 20 (5 each for non-resident aliens)...Tomorrow morning will be hopefully a grey shoot (honkers)...

.007.JPG012.JPG011.JPG003.JPG011.JPG030.JPG015.JPG005.JPG009.JPG

I thought you said Stefanie was on this trip ?? I wondered if she was going to shoot ducks. Pictures look great Steve.

Last day with the kids...And it didn't disappoint...Went with a willow blind again in a big barley field...7 dozen silhouettes and a single spinner incase the greys didn't show...1st bird in was a single honker and it hit the deck...Then a big lull...So, the boys whacked a couple of mallards...Then it was steady diet of specs...The big greys as usual were last and when they decided to come, they came...Flock after flock...What a shoot!

Kids leave tomorrow morning early and the old guys have a lot of cleaning to do...Think we're heading back to Montana with legal limits.

.007.JPG043.JPG033.JPG051.JPG057.JPG067.JPG072.JPG075.JPG

Last edited:
Canada eh? Great photos as usual. Thanks Steve. I miss that place up there. Epic bird hunts. The willows are much easier than those layouts eh?

Reactions: ilovesprig

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu