Hello from Montana 2018

That deer has good life, big boy.
Question: how is the taste when that old? The old deer in D16 taste terrible. LOL
He would make an excellent mount.
In velvet.
LB

A few pix from the last couple of days.....Snow all day yesterday, but still got in some scouting.....Then today was beautiful.....Was going to hunt ducks, but wanted to give Trigger's foot another day......While at the refuge, I remembered a shelter belt that had sharpies last year.....Sure enough, I (Trigger) flush about 15-20, but at 50 yds.....As it almost always happens, there was a late flusher.....Got him.....Close call with Porky near the sharpies.

Cast and blast with the Missouri river guide....Watching them fly fish, when boom, boom....2 ducks down.....lol

ps.....Last pic of Montana duck hunters.....3 spinners and standing up in tulies…..lol

.012.JPG017.JPG029.JPG051.JPG035.JPG006.JPG010.JPG016.JPG021.JPG

Total white out to start, but cleared nicely and had a brown day.....2 mallards, 4 blue-wingers, and 1 green wing.....Also saw my best white-tail to date here......He chased that littler buck all over the field....Dang, I love Montana

A few pix

ps.....Might bring this boy home with me.....Wire haired retriever pup.

.012.JPG014.JPG021.JPG026.JPG015.JPG012.JPG038.JPG036.JPG017.JPG030.JPG

Steve, Gwp's are great versatile dogs especially if you use them in wet and tough environments I.E water fowling. Got one coming in tomorrow from a marine vet amputee that has asked us to train it up for him. A very tough and tenacious breed for sure. Be prepared for a very different temperament than Lab's (they can be hard headed and challenging to train). If you decide to bring one home get in contact with us and we'll fill you in on how to get them going. Glad to see you are considering crossing over to the dark side I knew you would with enough influence..

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Total white out to start, but cleared nicely and had a brown day.....2 mallards, 4 blue-wingers, and 1 green wing.....Also saw my best white-tail to date here......He chased that littler buck all over the field....Dang, I love Montana

A few pix

ps.....Might bring this boy home with me.....Wire haired retriever pup.

.View attachment 36325View attachment 36326View attachment 36327View attachment 36328View attachment 36329View attachment 36330View attachment 36331View attachment 36333View attachment 36334View attachment 36335
So what is your new dogs name??

Be careful when you give it a name and treat it well and they will better take on the role you want. Treat them with love and affection early on and you will get so much more.... seen it so many times.... As I said before come up and see us and we'll help you.

Jacob showed up around mid day Friday for 4 days.....And what a 4 days it was.....Friday after getting his license and stuff, we hit Benton Lake NWR.....Proceeded to get 2 limits of ducks (gads, GW, & BW)…..Saturday was opening of pheasant.....Despite walking miles, private, & public, we managed only 2 roosters (we were told there was a recruitment year)….Cal & Ronnie ended up getting 3 roosters.

Sunday was a day to remember for Jacob (& me).....Took him to a spot that I knew held both huns & sharpies….I dropped him off on a shelter belt and right off the bat, he gets 2 huns…..We then moved to a bigger belt and within a 100 yds, he had his 1st sharpie.....We then head back to an area to duck hunt and I tell him to walk this small section of bottom land.....Up comes a rooster and he gets that.....So, in one 1 mile square zone he gets the trifecta.....Well, let's not stop there.....We set-up for ducks and he proceeds to shoot a limit of ducks (5 BW & 2 fine shovelers)….And as a bonus, he gets a honker.....One more stop and he adds another rooster.....2 huns, 2 roosters, 1 sharpie, 1 honker, and 7 ducks.....What a day of shotgunning!

Yesterday, I had found a Block Mgt spot and yesterday was our day to hunt it.....Slept in a little, so we hunted upland 1st....Big fields, but Trigger Man found a big rooster in the thick stuff.....Jacob didn't miss, but it was still alive and Trigger caught him.....We then headed home (Ronnie's) to get honker decoys, full body mallards, and spinners.....Carted into the field and the birds were already coming in (blowing hard).....Set-up and shooting by 5:00 pm.....By 6:00 pm, we had 14 mallards and 3 honkers.....Jacob's limit was all green.

Today, we got up early with Cal & Ronnie included in the same field (you're allowed to hunt it 2 days straight days with Ressie)….7:05 and the ducks were pouring in with snow falling.....By 8:30 am, they were done with 21 ducks (17 mallards, 2 widgeon, 1 bull sprig, hen Woodie) and 5 honkers.

Jacob didn't get to go to Canada, but I think he had a pretty good time here in Montana.....lol

ps....Fred.....The wire-hair sold before I made a decision.

.025.JPG006.JPG011.JPG015.JPG024.JPG032.JPG017.JPG029.JPG006.JPG

Last edited:
Steve, If you decide on a wirehair later I can put you on a breeder or two that can deliver some good stuff. With you being retired this would be a great project for you and in my opinion give you a great water dog like you have never had with the ability to give you upland adventures beyond your current experience's. Let me know and I'll set you up.

Last hunt in Montana and heading home tomorrow morning.....What a trip it has been.....Canada & Montana did not disappoint.

Love the cold weather too.....Few pix

ps....Sad leaving Beau behind after raising him since a pup.....But I'm sure he'll have a good life and at only 6 months, he retrieved like no other today.

002.JPG

.001.JPG013.JPG027.JPG009.JPG020.JPG043.JPG

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu