Hello from Montana 2022

Couple of dark to dark hunts the last 2 days...Mike had never shot a wood duck...So, Ronnie set us up on some private that has a couple of sloughs off the Missouri River...Mike took one slough and I took the other...We see wood ducks on Mikes slough just about every day...Mine has mostly mallards and honkers (daytime roost)...Well, this day was just the opposite...Mike's 1st duck of the day is a greenhead...My 1st duck is a woody...lol...Mike ends up with 3 honkers, a mallard, and a widgeon...I end up with 1 honker. 1 gw, one bluewing, 1 greenhead, and 4 wood ducks...Fun day.

Today was opening day of pheasant season...We had pretty high hopes after scouting some and seeing a goodly amount of birds where we have permission...Our 1st stop was a property that we never left last year...9 roosters and we were done...This year after about 2 miles of walking, we never flushed a bird...WITW!...Our next stop was what we call the pheasant hotel...As we drive up we see some near the big willow bottom (hotel)...As we're getting ready, they're running...I get on the back side and Coley flushes a rooster...1 in the bag...The rest of everything we flush are hens...On to the next spot...Normally really good, but only one bird flushed...And, a miss by Mike...The next place is called the Tule patch and it was better...Ronnie gets 2 (and misses one) and Mike gets one...Next short ditch and Ronnie and Mike both get another one...Mike and I take another ditch and I flush about 20 huns...I get 2 and Mike gets one...Ronnie leaves with his limit of 3...Mike and I walk a couple more ditches, but nothing...As we're leaving we see 2 roosters on public...Mike gets out and gets one of them...The other one goes down a small coulee...I get after him, and when Coley gets "birdy", he flushes...The problem was, he flushed from the other side of a Russian olive tree...Damn!...Great day of pheasant hunting none the less...:blush:

Cleaning birds tomorrow and maybe another honker hunt...Then heading for home...I love Montana...:heart:

.IMG_6756.JPGIMG_6752.JPGIMG_6746.JPGIMG_6766.JPGIMG_6783.JPGIMG_6859.PNGIMG_E6856.JPGIMG_6858.PNGIMG_6862.JPGIMG_6735.JPG

Last edited:
What an adventure Steve! Just awesome. Maybe SCHers should all chip in for a hundred and fifty acres of prime hunting land up there for a private club. Any idea what that would cost?
Better make that 1500 acres. Okay, lets make that 640 acres, one full square.

Last edited:
Reactions: ilovesprig
Better make that 1500 acres. Okay, lets make that 640 acres, one full square.
The more the better. I was thinking enough for a few duck ponds and some upland game fields. Add more acreage for deer, elk, pronghorn, Turkey etc and even a cheapo like me might buy in. Have no idea what acreage sells for up there.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
The more the better. I was thinking enough for a few duck ponds and some upland game fields. Add more acreage for deer, elk, pronghorn, Turkey etc and even a cheapo like me might buy in. Have no idea what acreage sells for up there.

Kevin,

About a 1,000 an acre for pasture...Adjacent to where we hunted yesterday is for sale...2,800 acres of upland, deer, lopes, and waterfowl with a great DU project and creek...2.5 mil...Wonder if he'll take a check?.... :joy:

.montana wt 7.JPG

Going out with a bang...We secured (cousin Ron) a property we had watched for 2 weeks on Sunday...But wouldn't you know it, it rains all night Monday night...Farmers do not like you driving in the fields...So, yesterday morning we sat and watched as about 600 honkers piled into the field...The good was that they were predicting sun & wind starting about 11:00 am...Went pheasant hunting for awhile...Then went back to Ronnie's hoping the field would dry enough so went could at least get to some kind of blind...Went back over at about 3:30 pm and decided we couldn't get close driving to where the X was (the field is a mile long)...The next best thing was a small grove of trees that we could possibly get the birds to decoy to on the outside edge of the Tanglefree Skinnies...A couple hours go by and the pterodactyls start coming in (sandhills)..Then a single silent honkers decoys right in and lands...That'll work...One in the bag...Then starting at 6:05, they started coming...Flight after flight and every few minutes somebody would peal off and commit...Shoot time was 6:44 and by 6:40, Mike and I had our limit of 10 Canada's...Great way to end a great trip to Big Sky country.

Heading for home today or early tomorrow morning...Great way to end a great trip to Big Sky country.

ps...A couple of bonus pix including Coley's mom, brothers, & sisters.

.IMG_6909.JPGIMG_6914.JPGIMG_6913.JPGIMG_6924.JPGIMG_6928.JPGIMG_6938.JPGIMG_1348 (1).JPGIMG_1351.JPGIMG_6632.JPG

@ilovesprig , Congrats on another great trip!
What my mife would do for one of those wood ducks.
Show some of those migrators the way to SoCal on your way home.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu