Help a Newb understand the point system

That's our state pulling BS.
I hate this point system.
Steve we were lucky when we didn't have all this BS once upon a time.

That's for sure, Lee....You just bought a deer tag OTC and you could hunt anywhere in the state....Definitely the good days....It ended in the middle 80's, when micro managing became vogue.

Funny part is deer hunting is no better or have bigger bucks than back then....Everything was weather related within a season, especially the Sierra's.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
I have been combing all over the DFG site and older threads here trying to get some info on how this point system works. I live in zone D15 and here are the hunts listed for the zone:

1. Premium Deer Hunts – None
  2. Restricted Deer Hunts – None
  3. Unrestricted Deer Hunts – D15 and Archery Only (AO)

Couple of Questions I had.

Given this would I be able to go #1 Point Deer, #2 Point Deer, #3 AO? Would this allow me to collect 2 points and then hunt AO in the zone or would I lose my points as soon as I get the AO tag? The entry into the drawing price is the same price as the tag, is that right? Since these tags don't sell out would I be able to get a D15 unrestricted over the counter later or would I lose my points when the Tag is issued over the counter?

Are the points zone specific or species specific?

I am to analytical, so the simple things get in my way.

Points are only associated with your first choice. You get a point by either putting (P) for point or by putting a choice that you don’t draw. You get one point per species that you apply for per year. If you draw a tag on your first choice you lose all your points for that species. The only way you lose your points is when you draw your first choice on the application.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu