Help I need your guys advice am I making a mistake

baboltin

Jan 1, 2014
So I am going on a dall sheep hunt in 2022 and have been planning the hunt and am planning on taking my Christensen arms summit TI 28 nosler with me. I have 200 rounds of factory ammo ready for it to be broken in, sighted in and practice and get familiar with it over the course of the next 7-8 months. During a discussion with a friend about what load and rifle I’m going to shoot he thought I was stupid to be shooting nosler e-tip 150 grain copper bullets in Alaska on sheep and that they will get sent to fast out of a 28 nosler and be unstable, and suggested I use a heavier 160-180 grain lead bullet. This now has me concerned if I made a mistake with purchasing this ammo for this rifle, for this hunt. Maybe I’m just getting in my head about it because of the hunt and it being once in a lifetime for me but what do you guys suggest and what is your advice on this rifle, round and load? Should I use a lead bullet? Is a 150 grain bullet to lite of a grain bullet for a 28 nosler? My barrel is a 1-9 twist barrel. Does anyone have this same rifle, and shoot 150 grain? Does anyone shoot 150 grain out of there 28 nosler? What’s your experience?

So I am going on a dall sheep hunt in 2022 and have been planning the hunt and am planning on taking my Christensen arms summit TI 28 nosler with me. I have 200 rounds of factory ammo ready for it to be broken in, sighted in and practice and get familiar with it over the course of the next 7-8 months. During a discussion with a friend about what load and rifle I’m going to shoot he thought I was stupid to be shooting nosler e-tip 150 grain copper bullets in Alaska on sheep and that they will get sent to fast out of a 28 nosler and be unstable, and suggested I use a heavier 160-180 grain lead bullet. This now has me concerned if I made a mistake with purchasing this ammo for this rifle, for this hunt. Maybe I’m just getting in my head about it because of the hunt and it being once in a lifetime for me but what do you guys suggest and what is your advice on this rifle, round and load? Should I use a lead bullet? Is a 150 grain bullet to lite of a grain bullet for a 28 nosler? My barrel is a 1-9 twist barrel. Does anyone have this same rifle, and shoot 150 grain? Does anyone shoot 150 grain out of there 28 nosler? What’s your experience?
According to the Nosler load data, their test barrel for the 150 E tips had a 1:9 twist rate. IMO, go out and shoot the gun. Within the next 7-8 months you can make the decisions. If I were hunting in Alaska, I would run a heavier bullet, if my gun shoots it well.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Reactions: baboltin
Don’t over think it and go kill a sheep. That bullet will be fine it’s just a sheep they are not hard to kill. Go shoot the gun if you are ringing the steel out to 500 it won’t matter what bullet you hit it with it will die. I watched @Kellendv dump an elk in its tracks with a 140g copper bullet last year. I am sure he will chime in but he also killed his sheep with the same bullet.

stoked you are going on this hunt btw. It’s gonna be an adventure of a lifetime. Good for you.

he thought I was stupid to be shooting nosler e-tip 150 grain copper bullets in Alaska on sheep and that they will get sent to fast out of a 28 nosler and be unstable, and suggested I use a heavier 160-180 grain lead bullet.

No offense to your friend, but he has no clue what he is talking about. Bullet stability is about bullet length and barrel twist rate...plus copper bullets perform better the faster faster they go. I personally would go light and fast with copper for shooting sub 600 yards.

If you plan on shooting further than 600 yards, sure go heavy berger to anchor them in their spot.

If it was me, my top choice would be shooting hand loads of the 143 Hammers 3600 to 3700 fps which will knock flat any big game animal in north america.

If your using a guide ask what he may recommend as he should have a better idea of how far you'll be shooting then go from there as to what rounds to work with.

Thank you everyone for your response and that was my response to my friend that I was going to shoot them through the rifle and if it likes them run with them if not then find something else.

Reactions: MJB and TRICER
I wouldn't say it was stupid move but I would of have chosen a different combo and you're still 7-8 months out. Hell this is a OIL hunt for most get the components and I'll help you develop a lights out load. If they are accurate then you're set but in my experience and there are some that may have different opinions some of the Nosler, Hornady, and Barnes have a speed limit that I haven't been able to get accuracy past. Nosler puts those at 3250 I'm sure you could get that in a handload with a heavier bullet and a better BC. Why not get some Berger 195's cruising over 3000. You'll be better off when it comes time for a shot because you'll have less dial up. I'm not sure what your distance capabilities are but but with the right combo you could start shaving off MOA for the long shots and lower you margin of error when its time.

Well you do need a backup gun?
I'm impressed with the 6.8 western in Hells Canyon LR model.
New trigger spring with a little polish work and it's a nice shooter in a lite mag with less recoil than my 06

But it's so close to your 28 it's splitting hairs......270 win is always my favorite caliber just saying

Reactions: ilovesprig
What would Jack O'Connor do?

Jack O'connor would ride in on horseback with a wood stocked .270 scoped with a Weaver 4x shooting lead bullets and get it done. Sheep are wimps biologically. I had the privelidge to accompany a friend on a desert sheep hunt in 2010 in AZ. I can tell you they have good eyesite and they are dumb, My friend missed on the first day and we went back the next and found them not so far from there. Don't over think this...

Attachments

• unit 36 025.jpg
    unit 36 025.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 19
Did Jack use his beloved .270?

Jack O'Connor with one of his last sheep, a Stone ram from British Columbia taken in the early 1970s. The rifle is his pet “Number 2,” an exceptionally accurate Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in . 270 Winchester, stocked by Al Biesen. O'Connor used this rifle extensively from 1960 until his death in 1978.

.jack O Connor.jpg

I wouldn't say it was stupid move but I would of have chosen a different combo and you're still 7-8 months out. Hell this is a OIL hunt for most get the components and I'll help you develop a lights out load. If they are accurate then you're set but in my experience and there are some that may have different opinions some of the Nosler, Hornady, and Barnes have a speed limit that I haven't been able to get accuracy past. Nosler puts those at 3250 I'm sure you could get that in a handload with a heavier bullet and a better BC. Why not get some Berger 195's cruising over 3000. You'll be better off when it comes time for a shot because you'll have less dial up. I'm not sure what your distance capabilities are but but with the right combo you could start shaving off MOA for the long shots and lower you margin of error when its time.
I appreciate your offer and maybe will take you up on it! I’m limiting myself to that 500-600 yard range but just like anyone would be more then happy with a 300 yard shot.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu