Henshaw

surfcity

I don't play nice with baby killing gun grabbers
Jan 20, 2014
Huntington Beach
www.nra.com
Hello Everyone!

Gonna be heading the Henshaw to do some fishing with my two Autistic boys. We have done some fishing before but not a Henshaw and its been a long time. Getting them out of the house can be a challenge so I picked Henshaw so I could rent a cabin and make sure they have a place to hang out without getting to overwhelmed. Its a starter trip for us and the family and to get the boys some wholesome outdoor activity that I hope will inspire their brains a little more and be able to have them hang for more than a day in the "woods".

So with all that said, my son has been catching bass in his favorite video game "Red Dead Redemption" When mentioned that we could go to a place and try to catch some Cats Bass Bluegill ... maybe a Crappie... His eyes lit up. If you have been around these special people and when their eye's light up it something you don't see very often and as a parent you will do almost anything you can to make that happen.

So with all that said, I have know idea what to fish with. What kind of bait should I use? Any Kind of tips would be gratefully appreciated.

Once again I thank you all for being there when I have a question.
God Bless

John

Hello Everyone!

Gonna be heading the Henshaw to do some fishing with my two Autistic boys. We have done some fishing before but not a Henshaw and its been a long time. Getting them out of the house can be a challenge so I picked Henshaw so I could rent a cabin and make sure they have a place to hang out without getting to overwhelmed. Its a starter trip for us and the family and to get the boys some wholesome outdoor activity that I hope will inspire their brains a little more and be able to have them hang for more than a day in the "woods".

So with all that said, my son has been catching bass in his favorite video game "Red Dead Redemption" When mentioned that we could go to a place and try to catch some Cats Bass Bluegill ... maybe a Crappie... His eyes lit up. If you have been around these special people and when their eye's light up it something you don't see very often and as a parent you will do almost anything you can to make that happen.

So with all that said, I have know idea what to fish with. What kind of bait should I use? Any Kind of tips would be gratefully appreciated.

Once again I thank you all for being there when I have a question.
God Bless

John
Hi John
First off hope the family has a fun time.
There use to be lots of bullhead
catfish, my favorite live bait is night crawlers. Or earth worms. Can't go wrong. If fishing from shore important to have those light but strong pole holders . Floating boppers with light line. 4-8 lb .
Opportunities for bluegill, crappie,
Are the easiest to catch.
For dad a catfish rig on the bottom.
With chicken livers. Catfish love chicken liver.

Hi John
First off hope the family has a fun time.
There use to be lots of bullhead
catfish, my favorite live bait is night crawlers. Or earth worms. Can't go wrong. If fishing from shore important to have those light but strong pole holders . Floating boppers with light line. 4-8 lb .
Opportunities for bluegill, crappie,
Are the easiest to catch.
For dad a catfish rig on the bottom.
With chicken livers. Catfish love chicken liver.
Thank You So much!

X2 on the shrimp add some garlic and try both a Carolina Rig and drop shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So the bass are shrimp eater too?

Not normally, a night crawler will catch anything. Carp hooked on a doughball or corn will give them a good fight.

If it's not too late to consider another lake, Cuyamaca will be much cooler. It's a very scenic lake with year round trout fishing. They are also a lot of stunted crappie that usually want to cooperate. The east, weedy shallow end was once carpeted with bullheads. You couldn't keep a worm from getting eaten if you wanted to, haven't tried that since my kids got big so it may have changed.

Cuyamaca is good when they stock it with trout., But power bait, rainbow, with glitter, orange and yellow are some good baits.
There are lot of good lakes. Which ever is closes.

From shore I would drive down to the water at the coves to the right of the boat ramp. You get there by driving between the buildings by the gate. Throw out a catfish line near the brush using shrimp or mackerel. Fly line or small sinker. Then throw bass lures around the trees and brush. Good luck!

From shore I would drive down to the water at the coves to the right of the boat ramp. You get there by driving between the buildings by the gate. Throw out a catfish line near the brush using shrimp or mackerel. Fly line or small sinker. Then throw bass lures around the trees and brush. Good luck!
Thank you Very MUCH

John,

Make sure you have a 2 rod stamp....Or have the kids out with shrimp, mackerel, nitecrawlers, or chicken liver for catfish....Flyline the mackerel.

Good advice on the coves to the right of the launch ramp....The fishing piers can be pretty good for catfish....For carp, just buy a can of corn....Thread it on a #4 baitholder hook....Add a small split shot....Open bail on your spinning reel....Any tension and they'll drop it.

Again , the brushy areas to the right are your best bet without a boat....Green pumpkin skinny Senkos are my fav....White & chartreuse blades can be good too.

Good luck.

.henshaw 7-5-11 012.JPGhenshaw 7-1-11 007.JPGhenshaw 7-1-11 003.JPGturkey-henshaw crappie 4-10-12 012.JPG

Hey Steve! How the hell you doing!

Green pumpkin skinny Senkos ... I think I have seen you with that thing in every fish picture you have ever posted!! Hilarious Thank you. With all the help everybody has provided me I think we are dialed in. I am gonna be pretty busy with the kids. So the wife is gonna be working a single "pole" har har har... No seriously I will be pretty busy. Be there on Tues and Wed of next week, so hoping that there isn't to much pressure. I am gonna have to pick up one or two of those Senkos.

The carp thing spins my noodle a little bit, I wouldn't know what to do with the darn things. In Nor Cal we were told to murder them toss them where Magpies /Crows eat them.

I am hoping to get some bobber action in for the kids with some panfish action. Fishing with a bobber is a hoot! as long as the fish are biting.
Its gonna be interesting couple of days let me tell ya. I have a compost pile full of GIANT redworms, Big fat ones I mean almost the size of a night crawler. After the kids pass out the wife and I will probably walk down from the cabin and do some kitty fish during the the wee hours with lantern in tow..

Thank you So very much Steve And Everybody that has contributed to this thread. You guys have been nothing but stellar everytime I ask a question regardless of my questions be it Hunting Or Fishing. Its hard getting out of suburbia.

Sincerely
John

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu