Henshaw

Hi Fellas!

Well the fishing did not go according to plan. We through everything at them. My youngest boy had the only bite of the day. And my goodness it was a lot of work for dad. keeping four poles going and trying to keep my two specials involved was challenging to say the least. The fish were jumping. Whatever they were. It was us and one other guy on the lake. Maybe the fish like the pressure there. We through EVERYTHING at them as far as bait went. ..... Maybe it was the lead dog not doing something right. I did see 3 pair of Woodys Tho! Love those ducks. Around 6pm when the boys decided they had had enough and played with the dog I tossed some crank baits .... I never got around to getting a senco... nothing. However even tho they didn't catch fish. My boys said they had one of the best times of their lives which is saying something. Before we fished we took a little journey in some back road around Warm Springs and they got to shoot dads AR 15's and their moms 1911. That rocked their world! We were shooting into a giant sand burm with no targets just letting them hammer the trigger....Hilarious. Could not load the guns fast enough. I think the wife has a blister on her thumb from pumping rds into the magazines! I new my youngest boy was gonna love it. My oldest is a little bit farther along on the spectrum so we did have any idea how he was going to react. Something about fire a weapon and the smell of gunpowder.

Just wanted to give an update and thank you all again. Can't keep them away for their comfort zone for to long but with that said they can not wait to go again

Thanks again Fellas
John

John,

Did you try plain canned corn on a hook?....Plus, be careful shooting guns anywhere near there....CNF is in pursuit of game only, San Felipe W.A. is closed, and there's just a little bit of BLM near Ranchita that may be OK.

John,

Did you try plain canned corn on a hook?....Plus, be careful shooting guns anywhere near there....CNF is in pursuit of game only, San Felipe W.A. is closed, and there's just a little bit of BLM near Ranchita that may be OK.
There is a little nook of BLM on the way to Indian Flats that I mapped out. I don't want anything to do with the law and guns in the state of Bolsheviks. BTW Sprig is there any turkeys in them parts. Pretty harsh terrain for the Gobblers I reckon.

There is a little nook of BLM on the way to Indian Flats that I mapped out. I don't want anything to do with the law and guns in the state of Bolsheviks. BTW Sprig is there any turkeys in them parts. Pretty harsh terrain for the Gobblers I reckon.

There actually is, but it has gotten so over grown that it has just about choked out all the wildlife....You must have driven quite away….CNF starts after one mile....The boy scout camp has had turkeys for many years.

There actually is, but it has gotten so over grown that it has just about choked out all the wildlife....You must have driven quite away….CNF starts after one mile....The boy scout camp has had turkeys for many years.
Are you saying there are Turkey up there around the Indian Flats campground?

Hi Fellas!

Well the fishing did not go according to plan. We through everything at them. My youngest boy had the only bite of the day. And my goodness it was a lot of work for dad. keeping four poles going and trying to keep my two specials involved was challenging to say the least. The fish were jumping. Whatever they were. It was us and one other guy on the lake. Maybe the fish like the pressure there. We through EVERYTHING at them as far as bait went. ..... Maybe it was the lead dog not doing something right. I did see 3 pair of Woodys Tho! Love those ducks. Around 6pm when the boys decided they had had enough and played with the dog I tossed some crank baits .... I never got around to getting a senco... nothing. However even tho they didn't catch fish. My boys said they had one of the best times of their lives which is saying something. Before we fished we took a little journey in some back road around Warm Springs and they got to shoot dads AR 15's and their moms 1911. That rocked their world! We were shooting into a giant sand burm with no targets just letting them hammer the trigger....Hilarious. Could not load the guns fast enough. I think the wife has a blister on her thumb from pumping rds into the magazines! I new my youngest boy was gonna love it. My oldest is a little bit farther along on the spectrum so we did have any idea how he was going to react. Something about fire a weapon and the smell of gunpowder.

Just wanted to give an update and thank you all again. Can't keep them away for their comfort zone for to long but with that said they can not wait to go again

Thanks again Fellas
John
Sorry you didn’t catch fish, but glad you kept a great attitude. I haven’t fished the Shaw this year but last year was really good for cats.

Are you saying there are Turkey up there around the Indian Flats campground?

There were, but if it's like most the fringe spots...They're gone.

Still goodly amount at Puerta La Cruz honor camp and surrounding area....Mostly VID prop (MCC).

There were, but if it's like most the fringe spots...They're gone.

Still goodly amount at Puerta La Cruz honor camp and surrounding area....Mostly VID prop (MCC).
The wife and I are talking about giving MCC a try. That is some unforgiving terrain in them parts. The Indian Flats campground is in pristine condition. Still a lot of green grass around. Lots of deer tracks.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Sorry you didn’t catch fish, but glad you kept a great attitude. I haven’t fished the Shaw this year but last year was really good for cats.
Hey! Its all good! The worst day I have ever had in the woods fishing hunting is still better than any day I could have in civilization. Suburbia is so overrated

surprised you didn't get bullheads, it use to be loaded with cat fish and blue gills did you try worms, and stinky bait.
"worst day fishing is way better than working " LOL Agreed

hey I know exactly what you mean , family would go fishing together, I would be to busy helping my kids fishing. no chance to fish my self.
but it would be a blast.. it's all good..... :)

The fishing for Cats at Jennings has been pretty good at night. I am taking my JR High group from church Friday 8/2. We will be there around 6:45pm and leave around 9pm. If you want to bring the boys out feel free to meet us there we will be fishing the cove down by the boat docks. All the boys in my group are between 11 and 13 they would be very welcoming to your boys for sure. I have a great group of boys in this group.

The fishing for Cats at Jennings has been pretty good at night. I am taking my JR High group from church Friday 8/2. We will be there around 6:45pm and leave around 9pm. If you want to bring the boys out feel free to meet us there we will be fishing the cove down by the boat docks. All the boys in my group are between 11 and 13 they would be very welcoming to your boys for sure. I have a great group of boys in this group.
hey this is very kind of you! I will talk to the wife about this. She wants to do this again with them before skool starts!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu