Heritage Fields

Is it true that they didn't plant at Wister? I hadn't heard that.

Just got this from a CDFW manager....

Hey Steve,

I believe so...It's the DWU fields that they traditionally do...At Wister, we planted 513, 312, Y14, fields 138, Game Farm, and wheat field....All planted in wheat.

Maybe we need a new thread called “Heritage Fields Casualties”. The last and only time I hunted them:

6AF071F2-7B8C-4F72-A427-DA18D1CA230D.jpeg

The Heritage Fields are way too dangerous. We’ve had close calls getting shot at every time we went there. Not worth it at all, especially since there are hardly any birds. Blythe is much safer, plus the fields are loaded with birds.

I usually stay away from the Heritage Fields any time near the opener. It's not just because of the crowding and low IQ's involved but the trash left behind. I don't want to sound like a snob, I just don't want to be near those kind of people.
There have been some excellent hunts out of those fields, when there is a food source. most the time they look like a 'barren scape' with a few dead stick ups, a bunch of tumbleweeds, shell casings,
As far as Blythe or other places being safer....Dove hunting for the last 60+years in the I.V., Palo verde Valley and the C.R.I.T. has taught me there is no safe place to hunt when people are added to the mix. Keeping an eye on the other people is more important than spotting birds, unless your bullet proof. My hat's off to field shooters, I've always been uncomfortable in fields with a crowd.

I usually stay away from the Heritage Fields any time near the opener. It's not just because of the crowding and low IQ's involved but the trash left behind. I don't want to sound like a snob, I just don't want to be near those kind of people.
There have been some excellent hunts out of those fields, when there is a food source. most the time they look like a 'barren scape' with a few dead stick ups, a bunch of tumbleweeds, shell casings,
As far as Blythe or other places being safer....Dove hunting for the last 60+years in the I.V., Palo verde Valley and the C.R.I.T. has taught me there is no safe place to hunt when people are added to the mix. Keeping an eye on the other people is more important than spotting birds, unless your bullet proof. My hat's off to field shooters, I've always been uncomfortable in fields with a crowd.
I don't hunt In Cal. but I agree with the rest of your response. If you can find a flyway between a food source and a roost area, first you likely will not be alone, second with a good food source and lots of birds the second morning can be very productive with far fewer hunters. I would say a pretty good number of the guys out there on Sept. 1st are once a year hunters, they are, for the better part the ones who leave the hulls all over. for them the opener is a chance to get any from their wives and work, It's more of a social event for them than a hunting trip. CRIT can have some great late season hunts if you can find the right area. A lot of it is more jump shooting, which is a lot more fun. One year we had some guys hunting on a hill about a half mile from us and they were driving the dove down to us, what a blast.

Assuming these are full public fields but just to double check do these fields require anything special to hunt them?
License, non toxic ammo, shot gun and safety classes. First aid kit might be a good idea in lieu of body armor. Not aware of other requirements, if any. I'll defer to Ilovesprig and he is at Bass pro today, turkey seminar.

Assuming these are full public fields but just to double check do these fields require anything special to hunt them?

They are all public spots, including Wister Unit and Finney/Ramer of the Imperial WA...One law that is unique to Imperial Co...You can NOT shoot within 50 yds of a named county, state, or interstate hwy...And of course state laws, you can't shoot over any road or hwy...150 yds from any occupied dwelling, barn, or outbuilding.

Invest in a spinning wing dove...Scout for daytime roost areas...And, bring binos for looking for birds in mesquite, dead trees, or power lines.

Good luck

They are all public spots, including Wister Unit and Finney/Ramer of the Imperial WA...One law that is unique to Imperial Co...You can NOT shoot within 50 yds of a named county, state, or interstate hwy...And of course state laws, you can't shoot over any road or hwy...150 yds from any occupied dwelling, barn, or outbuilding.

Invest in a spinning wing dove...Scout for daytime roost areas...And, bring binos for looking for birds in mesquite, dead trees, or power lines.

Are the fields open year round for euro strikes?

Good Or just normal dove seasons?
License, non toxic ammo, shot gun and safety classes. First aid kit might be a good idea in lieu of body armor. Not aware of other requirements, if any. I'll defer to Ilovesprig and he is at Bass pro today, turkey seminar.
I’ve got all that. Not my first time just looking to try new area and the IV seems the way. I grew up dove hunting in the
Maricopa days with my dad shoulder to shoulder with hundreds of people early 90’s. Parents held Dove Buster parties haha.

Reactions: GUNDOGLOVER49

Good luck
Are these fields only open to hunting during the general dove seasons? Or can you chase euro all year?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu