High fence hunting isn't hunting

D16hunter

Jun 28, 2012
San Diego
So today somebody I've talked hunting with a few times on instagram sent me a picture of a monster whitetail he took that scored 373 inches and I thought holy s*** what's the world record?!?!?! Then I realized that can't be in the wild and sure enough it was killed on a small property with a 10ft fence. I didn't respond to him but I wanted to say I'm sorry to say that isn't hunting because it's really cheating. Then he goes on and on how much better of a hunter he is. With all the hours and time and effort put into trying to kill one of our comparatively tiny deer I have realized over the years I could never hunt high fence and be proud of it. I might do it on a larger property if say I was trying to kill a doe for guaranteed meat but it would feel like cheating. Rant over. What's everybody's opinion on high fence hunting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I respect your perspective Luke, but there is a place for folks who want to lay down serious money to have an accessible animal to hunt. It supports local economies, and those folks will fight to support hunters. We should should stick together and not judge too quickly. That's for antis. My 2 cents.

Anyway that thing looks like someone stuck a couple pieces of driftwood to his head. Call it a mercy killing.

Bonejour said:
I respect your perspective Luke, but there is a place for folks who want to lay down serious money to have an accessible animal to hunt. It supports local economies, and those folks will fight to support hunters. We should should stick together and not judge too quickly. That's for antis. My 2 cents.
True but to brag and act like your superior to a hunter who hunts free range animals however strikes a nerve

I couldnt hunt high fence. Its not in me to give the animal that unfair of a disadvantage. I would support another hunters choice of doing it. Bragging about who is a better hunter is ridiculous. There are tons of hunters who have far more skills than I do for sure, but I take pride in the fact that I bust my ass to get any animal Ive taken. The only thing I do regret is not having more time in the field that many other hunters have an opportunity for. This may be the case why some people choose a high fence hunt.

Saying that hunting high fence is IMHO the same as saying you wouldn't fish a stocked pond. Now I will say that I would not fork out that kind of cash even if I had it. My next phase of life after I get over this injury and sell my house is to move to texas. Cows are already there and horses are going soon. The stock is on a 5900 acre high fence ranch. So not all high fence properties are small in size. I'm trading the feed lease for trapping , hog eradication , and to relocate exotics for profit to other ranches who have the clientele for said exotics. It's a big money business ran by good Ole boys who keep a close nit crew. I'm lucky enough to know a few people in high places to vouch for me. In Texas the dept of parks and wildlife took over possession of all whitetail in the state and are taxing these high fence ranches and are allocating harvest limits as well. I've heard rumor of a high fence selling all its exotics and cutting the fences and let all the deer go wild. To avoid taxes. They just keep feeding them and they will sometimes return.

Lol fishing a stocked pond isn't even close to hunting a hundred acre property is that has deer bred to be freaks of nature

Personally, people bragging about their hunting skill doesn't bother me too much. If I get or don't get my critter(s) (no matter if it's dove to deer) I'm happy because, I'm out in the field, marsh, forest, desert hunting my way. I think, as hunters, we need to stick together and not give the antis a "chink in the armor" to get through when they're trying to divide and conquer. Just because you wouldn't hunt a High Fence doesn't mean you should criticize those that do. Some might have physical limitations that make High Fence their only real option to possible harvesting some game. And how big does a property have to be to be High Fence? 10 acres? 100 Acres? 640 acres (aka 1 sq. mile)? wackums back's 5900 acres? I once hunted a 640 acre "ranch" (not the one in Riverside county) for pigs (I won the hunt in a contest). It was a low fenced property, meaning the pigs, that couldn't jump the fence, were contained on the property. Deer could come and go because they could jump the low fence. Pigs were brought into the property and stocked every once in a while. My understanding is they were wild pigs trapped on other ranches and brought in. Every pig I saw, and the pictures I saw of others harvested there, appeared to be wild boar, not feral pigs. They acted as "wild" as other pigs I have hunted on "opened" ranches. It took my son and I two days to harvest our pigs and we did it at the last minute as we were pulling up to the gate to leave empty handed and stumbled across a couple pigs walking down the fence line. Would you consider that a "high fence"? would you criticize us for hunting it? Would I do it again? Maybe? Still undecided, it was more challenging then I though it would be and I initially wouldn't have gone there, but like I said, I won the hunt so it was free. I definitely wouldn't go to this particular ranch again as they lost their lease and are no longer in operation.

When it comes to high fence....Not my cup of tea, but when in Rome, do as the Romans do.....Many states allow feeders, bait, salt licks.....Doesn't seem fair to us Westerns, but it's a way a life in other parts of our country.....To each his own.....Bragging about one's skill level or game isn't cool in any arena......2 cents

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZBYLIUqmIs

I believe there is some bragging rights, then there is serious sharing of information and knowledge.
which one is up to the person. no high fence for me. thank you. I rather get skunked. until I do score.
and believe me it get tougher as we get older.

Ghost

man, if I only had a high fence to lock up a bucks I'm chasing... when I watch hunting shows on tv and most of these shows are mid west I trip out how they (hunters) have the advantage big time, feeders and all that good stuff I always get that feeling of how unfair it is but then I think if I was born on that side of the map I would probably be doing the same :). different folks different strokes.. get some as long as its legal.

Yeahh, that is the way Trump likes it.

But then no more jaguars in the OC.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu