High Sierra Buck

Thanks for the story, Your last comment I think is a good summation of how wildlife lives in this crowded envoiroment. Your judgement of the quality of the animal I believe is spot on (old and as good as its going to get) I would be interested to hear about the wear on the teeth to confirm this. Cali is so crowded that there is no such thing as true wilderness probably true on all of the lower forty eight at this point. My good buddy Hank (rest his soul) shot this one above Bishop in 2010 after an epic multi day snow storm days before that pushed the down the hill towards us. Congrats on your hunt and what I would call a good judgement on age and trophy quality. I would be proud to hang that in my living room and call it a trophy any day of the week.
I was surprised that his teeth were in pretty good shape. That does vary with diet though and regionally as well. I may send a couple teeth to Matson’s lab for aging just cuz I am curious as well. If anyone wants their deer (or any other animal) aged let me know and we can save some money.

You can find solitude in some pretty wild places in California but you’re probably right, you’re rarely more than 10 miles from a road. @TRICER and @Lungpopper and I experienced real wilderness in Idaho in the Frank Church Wilderness and I think the Bob Marshal is also vast and remote.

Your friend got a real nice buck, gotta love those eye guards!

Thanks for taking the time to take us along on your adventure, Kellen. And congrats on a very nice deer. It will be cool to find out the age.

Strong work Bro...

Reactions: Kellendv

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu