How About Some D-16 Bucks From the past

Wasn’t there a story behind this buck something like the buck ended up getting taken by df&w or something like that ?

Yep....After the court case was settled (he was given infraction)....We got a court order to give it back and DFW refused to do so....The court order was signed by both the judge & deputy DA.....To this day, we have no idea who got the antlers & cape.

Reactions: wackums back
Yep....After the court case was settled (he was given infraction)....We got a court order to give it back and DFW refused to do so....The court order was signed by both the judge & deputy DA.....To this day, we have no idea who got the antlers & cape.

Bet that A hole Fleet has them

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The day the Cedar fire started I had a very similar experience with Fleet.
We went round and round over the legality of where I was hunting. He ended up taking my rifle and deer but didn’t write me a citation. “He said he was going to have to research it”.
Six months go by and never heard anything.
So I called and asked what he was going to do ?
He said he was going to bring my gun back to me.
He ended up meeting me in a parking lot and giving me my gun back. I asked for the deer and he wouldn’t give it back. No citation was ever written.
I think he got a kick out of taking deer from people.
EE37D342-5265-49C4-A9B3-0CF323218089.png

Reactions: TRICER
During Archery in September this guy did road block because he said he a call from someone that there was a shot fired in area. He did illigal search on any hunters passing thru on Boulder Creek road. The guy went through my truck and back pack. Found nothing. Asked me why I had judo points on a few arrows. Told him it was archery quail season.
He told me I was incorrect. His junior partner said he would check it out. And confirmed what I said.
Then he was claiming he smelled Mary Jane in my vehicle. I said what you smell is sage and pine in my back. This all took over a half an hour. About this time I lost my patience and courtesy. And ended it. Thank God I had my partners witness this whole event. I felt he was trying to frame me on something
Way over the top.

These are crazy encounters with the Game Wardens! I've been extremely lucky to have only had good encounters with them so far, hopefully that continues.

My buddy was one of the guys who went to court against Fleet. He tried to extort money and or weopons from them to give to a land owner. They were on public the whole time. What a piece of work glad he is out now.

Reactions: Lungpopper
I guess I shouldn't have posted the picture of Josh with his magnificent buck....Wardens have a tough job.....Fleet got his just reward.....Let's move on.

This buck was taken by a friend of mine....Never touched Josh' buck....So this was the largest I've ever seen in person in D-16.

golf tourney 11-15-10 002.JPG.golf tourney 11-15-10 003.JPG

Not to bring it back up but I’m curious what we’re the charges to take that buck and for it to never be given back ?

Not to bring it back up but I’m curious what we’re the charges to take that buck and for it to never be given back ?

One last time and only because it may save someone else from the unfortunate drama Josh went through.

He was given two misdemeanors....One for shooting a BOW (not rifle) within a 150 yds of a neighbors barn (not an occupied bldg.) and illegal possession of a game animal....The arresting warden said he spined his buck 91 yds from the barn....He did not....The buck ran downhill and was dying 91 yds from the barn. Where he put it out of it's misery with a 2nd arrow at point blank range.....In the police report, it said there was an eye witness to the shooting....The landowner who had given permission to Josh was the supposed eye witness....When in fact, the land owner was still in bed. And signed a statement saying so.

After close to year, the DA came back with a plea bargain of dropping the 150 yd rule misdemeanor (the DA actually came out and walked the property)....And made the illegal possession an infraction....Josh was in the fire academy at the time and felt that the plea was the best way to go....He is now an Escondido Paramedic/fireman.

PS....An infraction is a public offense, but arguably not a crime, and is not punishable by imprisonment. Any person convicted of an infraction may only be punished by a fine, removal and/or disqualification from public office

One last time and only because it may save someone else from the unfortunate drama Josh went through.

He was given two misdemeanors....One for shooting a BOW (not rifle) within a 150 yds of a neighbors barn (not an occupied bldg.) and illegal possession of a game animal....The arresting warden said he spined his buck 91 yds from the barn....He did not....The buck ran downhill and was dying 91 yds from the barn. Where he put it out of it's misery with a 2nd arrow at point blank range.....In the police report, it said there was an eye witness to the shooting....The landowner who had given permission to Josh was the supposed eye witness....When in fact, the land owner was still in bed. And signed a statement saying so.

After close to year, the DA came back with a plea bargain of dropping the 150 yd rule misdemeanor (the DA actually came out and walked the property)....And made the illegal possession an infraction....Josh was in the fire academy at the time and felt that the plea was the best way to go....He is now an Escondido Paramedic/fireman.

PS....An infraction is a public offense, but arguably not a crime, and is not punishable by imprisonment. Any person convicted of an infraction may only be punished by a fine, removal and/or disqualification from public office

Well thanks for the response, sad to hear and glad he just received an infraction even though it sounds like he didn’t even deserve that and should be allowed to have kept his buck. Wish I could get this subject back on track with a d16 buck but I have never killed a buck nor hunted d16. I can post deer from other units if people are inclined to it.

Here's a wide old D-16 buck.....My landowner took the pic during the season....We never saw him again in person or on camera....During the rut, bucks will come from long distances and this is a pretty common thing.....Marilyn got this beauty on the last day and the last hour of the season....Had never seen him either.

.the ranch 11-12-12.jpgMarilyn's buck 2012 011.JPG

This was a road kill buck in San Diego county. It has a very similar antler configuration as the heavy one show in the first photo I posted. Over the years, we have seen two more similar bucks in the same area...but we could't put an arrow or bullet in either one... and we never heard of anyone taking them.
Like any other zone in any other state...you let a buck get 6 - 7 - 8 - plus years on him and that's when you really start seeing what they can do. It's pretty difficult for a buck to survive that long in San Diego county. Not impossible though...LOL!

.IMG_1210.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
That;s a hell of a buck....Too bad he took a blow....:tired_face:

Here's Josh' big buck 3x4 he got in 2009 on the back side of Volcan (24 1/2" wide)....That minnow on the left is mine....lol

ps....Fire is good.

.052_52.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: DoubleTrouble
Well thanks for the response, sad to hear and glad he just received an infraction even though it sounds like he didn’t even deserve that and should be allowed to have kept his buck. Wish I could get this subject back on track with a d16 buck but I have never killed a buck nor hunted d16. I can post deer from other units if people are inclined to it.

I agree. Let’s get this thing back on track. Enough about my buck and more pics. Lol.
There’s plenty of other d16 giants out there to kill. Here’s a few other good ones.C44D505F-7AEE-4A68-BF06-E6CDB00A840D.jpegAA4E5140-ADA9-43E6-B5AC-DEE49043E8B8.jpegD5435A70-F8C1-470A-BD50-C6894AD28988.jpeg270C4E67-7267-46FF-A379-0C7853615446.jpegE6C2C1A0-F8C8-4941-88C2-6B1132F9D04C.jpegC58F76ED-2205-4785-A826-B9A7DDE37AA4.jpeg

Reactions: DoubleTrouble
That;s a hell of a buck....Too bad he took a blow....:tired_face:

Here's Josh' big buck 3x4 he got in 2009 on the back side of Volcan (24 1/2" wide)....That minnow on the left is mine....lol

ps....Fire is good.

Fire produces some incredible bucks! Plenty of forage to go around. I am not going to lie, every time I hear about a fire in East County I tend to look maps to see if there is public land around it.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu