How far will a tom go ?

steveo007

Nov 24, 2011
chula vista
public land hunting is usually coaxing a tom off of private land, how far will a tom travel to your decoys if hes interested?,and also how far away can he actually hear your calls?

If he is interested he'll usually come all the way in, I'd set up pretty much right on the fence line. A turkeys hearing is better than ours, but to say how far they can hear your calling is tough to answer cause so many factors come into play. One still morning in fairly flat country I was doing very soft tree calling and had a bird hammering at 300 yards.
Hope this helps
God Bless

Lumpy said:
If he is interested he'll usually come all the way in, I'd set up pretty much right on the fence line. A turkeys hearing is better than ours, but to say how far they can hear your calling is tough to answer cause so many factors come into play. One still morning in fairly flat country I was doing very soft tree calling and had a bird hammering at 300 yards.
Hope this helps
God Bless

Good info thanks lumpy

Steve,

They'll go as far as they can hear you. Which on a still, clear morning is a long ways......I know I've called in birds from over a 1/2 mile away (had visual on him)...In fact, he was faraway, I could see him gobble, but I couldn't hear him......Very strong box calling is required. Believe it or not, my cheapy H.S. Strut Champion box is the best I've found for that loud rather squeaky sound.

Even this morning scouting with Jacob. He took a walk up a canyon and I called from a different location. We were at least a 1/4 apart and he said he could hear me clearly......Turkeys I'm sure can hear better than us....... ;)

Just today, I watched a big tom come off a mountain gobbling like crazy. He moved at least a quarter of a mile in a matter of minutes......Maybe there was a hen over there that I couldn't hear....... :-*

This turkey came in from over a 1/2 mile away. I saw him gobble and heard the faint gobble. He came in running as if I was the last hen on earth. Needless to say he got lead poisoning from a load of #4s. Even had a double beard.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 18
steveo007 said:
public land hunting is usually coaxing a tom off of private land, how far will a tom travel to your decoys if hes interested?,and also how far away can he actually hear your calls?
Toms will come in from a long ways if their interested. Over the weekend I was at a buddy's house that's near land you cant hunt and I saw some birds I see their all the time. So I called as aggressively as I could and called 2 mature toms in to 15 yards from 500 yards. It's all about being where they want to be and if they're looking for company. If they're not you can't call em in no matter what.

D16hunter said:
steveo007 said:
Toms will come in from a long ways if their interested. Over the weekend I was at a buddy's house that's near land you cant hunt and I saw some birds I see their all the time. So I called as aggressively as I could and called 2 mature toms in to 15 yards from 500 yards. It's all about being where they want to be and if they're looking for company. If they're not you can't call em in no matter what.

thanks d16 question did they return gobbles on the way in or did they come in silent

steveo007 said:
D16hunter said:
steveo007 said:

thanks d16 question did they return gobbles on the way in or did they come in silent
They came in hot and never shut up I've never had turkeys do that before. the few birds I've called in I've heard their gobbles, called to em and then they came in silently for the last 150 yards

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu