How Safe Is It Out There?

schwatk

Jan 13, 2011
Alpine, CA.
I was reading on The SoCal Bowhunter that the author won't go out bowhunting bears in the San Bernardinos or even to retrieve his trail cameras by himself because of the mountain lions in the area. That got me thinking. Of course there is a risk to anything you do in the outdoors. But how many if any of you hunt by yourself here in SoCal. Especially around San Diego. None of my friends hunt. I've met some of you and hopefully I'll be able to go out with you some time. But in the meantime I'm on my own. Any advice on solo hunting would be greatly appreciated.

Take care!

Joe

I hunt by myself 99% of the time in SD and LA. Not going hunting because of lions and bears is like not going swimming because of sharks. Get out there. The .0000000009 % chance of danger adds to the excitement of the hunt.

I would like it better if we could legally carry but I'm with Buckhunter. There's an element of risk in every outdoor sport, being attacked by a lion or bear is very remote. I'll never miss a day afield becaue of lions or bears.

Jim,
You will never have an issue, most cats are gone by light and don't want anything to do with any of us hunters and we have no bears. So unless you it is a bobcat or coyote you are pretty safe. Trust me, I worry about other hunters well before I worry about predators. Get out there it is what you have worked so hard for. Good Hunting

I never worry about lions or bears. It’s the crazy people that keep me looking over my shoulder. But it doesn’t keep me from getting out there.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu