How was everyone's season?

I moves from northern Mexico and now live in Oregon. This was my first season the quail hunting is real limited out here, the pheasants are only on private land and chukar provide the best opportunities due to public land access. I drive further up here than I ever did in CA to get into birds.

The best day of chukar i got into at least 10 coveys within 6 hours and 10 miles hiked. Another day was 9 coveys, the dogs did phenomenal. My shooting was not this year.

In total I hiked 275 miles and shot 22 chukar. Through out the season. My young dog was the star of the show and has turned into an amazing chukar dog. She has a great nose and is extremely steady.

My favorite day out was when my old dog 8 1/2 years was the star of the show I shot 2 birds over point and could have stopped hunting after the first bird was in her mouth. During this hunt I wanted a great photo of her on point to frame and to put a bird in her mouth so bad. I let her hold onto that bird for a couple of mins to let her just enjoy the moment with me. Shes not to old but a dog that has hunted hard her whole life I really dont know how many more seasons I will get from her.

I talked to many other chukar hunters up here and they said for my first season I did great and in a couple of years they would be asking me for spots. I learned something as well one gentleman said he would help me with some spots and I was really open where I had been hunting. Well he gave me no info other than general knowledge of areas that hold birds which becomes common knowledge with research. Anyways 2 weeks later I ran into him at a spot I had mentioned to him. I need to hold my cards closer to my chest cant trust anyone. Funny thing is I could say his name and you all would know who he is. A very popular bird hunter.View attachment 42918View attachment 42919View attachment 42920

View attachment 42924

That’s a great chukar season. The very best chukar hunters I ever knew would get 50 a year. You have to trust somebody in this world. Sadly, you miss read this guy. Sucks

I moves from northern Mexico and now live in Oregon. This was my first season the quail hunting is real limited out here, the pheasants are only on private land and chukar provide the best opportunities due to public land access. I drive further up here than I ever did in CA to get into birds.

The best day of chukar i got into at least 10 coveys within 6 hours and 10 miles hiked. Another day was 9 coveys, the dogs did phenomenal. My shooting was not this year.

In total I hiked 275 miles and shot 22 chukar. Through out the season. My young dog was the star of the show and has turned into an amazing chukar dog. She has a great nose and is extremely steady.

My favorite day out was when my old dog 8 1/2 years was the star of the show I shot 2 birds over point and could have stopped hunting after the first bird was in her mouth. During this hunt I wanted a great photo of her on point to frame and to put a bird in her mouth so bad. I let her hold onto that bird for a couple of mins to let her just enjoy the moment with me. Shes not to old but a dog that has hunted hard her whole life I really dont know how many more seasons I will get from her.

I talked to many other chukar hunters up here and they said for my first season I did great and in a couple of years they would be asking me for spots. I learned something as well one gentleman said he would help me with some spots and I was really open where I had been hunting. Well he gave me no info other than general knowledge of areas that hold birds which becomes common knowledge with research. Anyways 2 weeks later I ran into him at a spot I had mentioned to him. I need to hold my cards closer to my chest cant trust anyone. Funny thing is I could say his name and you all would know who he is. A very popular bird hunter.View attachment 42918View attachment 42919View attachment 42920

View attachment 42924

I have always been interested in Eastern OR chukar. I would love to get up there some day.

Nice work guys. All those pheasants and chukars... already missing the season and it just ended.
Have to look toward trying to get into Turkey and I need to put some serious effort into larger game this year too. The grouse evaded me yet again this year. I tried up by Tahoe and as usual I didn't see any on the CA side with gun in hand and then they are all hanging out around the Stagecoach lift of Heavenly on the NV side. I'll be bring the knowledge from this season on to the next.

78912D05-50D2-497B-BC5D-00D37FFCB3CA.jpeg
0DC6AC87-DFD9-424D-9243-8260340D9E9D.jpeg
7ACC1FCD-A2D8-4166-8763-8DB431F1A64D.jpeg
B15A6951-BC85-4487-8323-61BE9E523479.png
57671422-DF5D-4D4D-AA5E-C4A2236B0F4F.png
I didn’t really take many pictures and spent too much time chasing larger quarry. But I always have a great time out with my girls. I hope we get a few more of these late winter storms, they make all the difference for these birds. This year’s crop was great and if they get the late season moisture they need next year will be amazing!

Is there an area where the SCH members would meet at the TTU?
I'm planning on going with my son and would love to meet and shake hands with the people who have been giving me good advice.
Most of the board members for NWTF are on SCH be sure to say high. That goes for everyone.

Reactions: Hunt&Done

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu