Hunt Shape

TRICER

Dec 20, 2014
tricerusa.com
Busted out Cowles this morning with @Ocurtis and @JakeSCH. 50lb packs to the top and back. There is no amount of gym or running that compares to heavy pack training. Great dudes and a fun morning. Oh and that is a sledge hammer sticking out or Owens backpack never know when you are gonna need to fix some of those railroad ties on Cowles.
Pretty cool seeing everyone getting ready for their hunts. We almost need a hunt shape forum on here.
EB6CF166-6954-450A-B1C2-3500DCA946ED.jpeg5A41B749-BA77-4651-8B24-303FC5351CAB.jpeg78E399C6-63CD-4EBB-A8C5-71444260E481.jpeg
DCB40583-08F4-4C5D-AB8A-9C2B520BA031.jpeg

Last edited:
Mine was like 105

If you had a 50lb pack on and were hiking up a decent grade with that heart rate then you are in pretty good shape considering most people's resting heart rate is between 60-90. Good job bud!

If you had a 50lb pack on and were hiking up a decent grade with that heart rate then you are in pretty good shape considering most people's resting heart rate is between 60-90. Good job bud!

I was a wimp and only had 35 lbs, drew and Jake has man packs haha! I'll do 50 going forward
897c360b5707f4a77d2e432676b2e87b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im a firm believer that 30-40lbs is more than enough to train with. Why over do it and possibly hurt yourself and not be able to hunt. Save the heavy loads for packing out.....
7 day backpack hunt all in with rifle etc you will be over 40lbs. My goal is 45lbs but that takes a lot of effort to achieve. I think it’s important to run a heavy pack once a week leading up to season there are muscles that you didn’t know existed until you put on a heavy pack up and down hills.
You definitely don’t want to push to hard. Getting hurt before season would be terrible.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dawnandusk
7 day backpack hunt all in with rifle etc you will be over 40lbs. My goal is 45lbs but that takes a lot of effort to achieve. I think it’s important to run a heavy pack once a week leading up to season there are muscles that you didn’t know existed until you put on a heavy pack up and down hills.
You definitely don’t want to push to hard. Getting hurt before season would be terrible.
Agree on using packwork to get in shape. Im running about 35-40lbs total in my Kuiu pack just doing 3 miles around my neighborhood. Trying for 2 times a week. I am way behind this year. Gotta start doing McGinty soon... That mountain always gets the heart rate up.

Reactions: TRICER
Agree on using packwork to get in shape. Im running about 35-40lbs total in my Kuiu pack just doing 3 miles around my neighborhood. Trying for 2 times a week. I am way behind this year. Gotta start doing McGinty soon... That mountain always gets the heart rate up.
If you want to jump in with us let me know. Also McGinty is a few minutes from my office. Maybe we can hit it up at 5am soon. I need to be back down to the truck around 6:30 so I can get to work though.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu