Hunter Codes, Ethics, & Etiquette

Any thoughts on tree stands and gear being left in the field? I’ve seen a few stands and cameras left up since the fall. Are they fair game to use? I’d be pissed if someone was sitting in my stand when I hiked in opening day...BUT I also see the argument that if you leave your stand, cameras, blinds etc. on public land - aren’t you kind of asking for problems? Anyone had any run-ins with this scenario/ situation?

Any thoughts on tree stands and gear being left in the field? I’ve seen a few stands and cameras left up since the fall. Are they fair game to use? I’d be pissed if someone was sitting in my stand when I hiked in opening day...BUT I also see the argument that if you leave your stand, cameras, blinds etc. on public land - aren’t you kind of asking for problems? Anyone had any run-ins with this scenario/ situation?

I would leave all the stuff as is. One day it might be your gear. If you would like to set up near by and it's public go for it, public is public right? On some of our desert drinkers I see up to 4 cameras. I've heard that some guys read the SD cards and put them back but not sure if I'd like that. Now if it's illegal to leave trees stands up and you feel like reporting it, that'll be up to you. One could take a tree stand as being a mark of territory and push other hunters away?

Reactions: CLarson757
It's public. So if you see Treestands in there, I wouldn't use them, but feel free to setup in that area for sure. I mean, obviously somebody else thought it was worthwhile enough to go thru the trouble of putting up a stand, right? And there's always a way they could figure out how to lock up something like that if they wanted to.

Putting up cams can kinda be a catch-22 situation too. Because if you put one up, and it's not hidden very well, and another hunter sees it. It just might make them now have interest in the area you setup your cam at. You can't always hide cams well because sometimes there just isn't another tree at quite the right spot, especially one pointing North so you don't get backlit pics out of it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses gents. I don’t want to get in between someone and their gear if I can avoid it. Just curious if it was more of a “community use” type of situation. I’m not sure I’d want to leave anything out in public land personally but to each their own I suppose.

Reactions: Dawnandusk
Code of ethics , it isn't yours leave it alone.
Even if they are breaking the rules or laws.

It's common for hunters to leave stuff up all year. Which is against the rules.

If it's left unused even even during hunting season it isn't right that it is setup all year. I would set up near by. But if I walk in and some one is there hunting I walk away to a different spot. Code of ethics.
Don't disturb their hunting.

Thanks for the responses gents. I don’t want to get in between someone and their gear if I can avoid it. Just curious if it was more of a “community use” type of situation. I’m not sure I’d want to leave anything out in public land personally but to each their own I suppose.
I have come across some tree stands that have the laters 2" off The ground. That tells you how long the stands have been unattended...

Walk in front of the camera and let it take your picture.
That let's whoever know that you know it is there.
They then might be inclined to take it down.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu