Hunter Codes, Ethics, & Etiquette

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
With a lot of new hunters (& fisherman) on the site. And with hunting season right around the corner. I thought maybe it was a good time to mention a few codes & ethics I've been taught over my close to 60 years of hunting and fishing. There's a lot of guys looking for hunting partners. Here's a few things that may get you a partner and have a hunting buddy for life.

1)......If someone takes you to a spot (fishing or hunting). You do NOT go back to this spot without him or his permission (or tell others).....Be it public or private....... Also try and return the favor, if you can. One sided relationships rarely last long......This has been a code of the hunter or fisherman since I can remember.

2).....Show up on time.....Set your alarm to be early. Nothing more frustrating than waiting for someone when your excited about going.....Get your gear together the night before and be packed and ready to go......5 minutes early is always a good thing.

3)......Be prepared.....Being prepared means, bring enough stuff for two. Water, food, ammo, etc.....Mooching and borrowing stuff is not a good thing, especially early on......Try to own all your own equipment......When you get invited, tell the person what you have and don't have.......Be honest and sincere.

4)......Always offer to drive or pay for gas, if your not driving...... Pay for lunch, if he won't except gas money.....If your fishing. Help pay for the bait, pay for the launch fees and permits, if it's not your boat.....Don't be cheap!

5)......Don't be a game hog......If your the guest. Your partner has 1st shot unless he says otherwise (which in most cases is agreed upon beforehand)......For example, if a duck or goose is coming in. Don't start shooting while it's still out 60 yds, just so you get the 1st shot......Let your partner call the shot......Another example, if your partner has a dog and it flushes a bird in front of him..... It's his shot..... Even though you may have a shot from the side as well.....If your getting all the shots. Offer to change spots with him......We all try to get our limits, but don't do it at the risk of losing a good hunting partner......Think passive aggressive.

6)......Work hard.....Help put out and pick up the decoys.....If your partner shoots a deer. Help him look for it and pack it out. Always help clean birds or animals.....Pick up trash....Offer to clean boat or partners truck.....Don't be lazy.

7)......Internet stuff......The internet is a wonderful thing, but it can have it's drawbacks......Don't post pictures of spots with telling info, unless you don't care about others using it (refer to #1). Don't post or say what particular blind site or location your hunting, despite being a public hunting area.....For example, don't say your hunting San Jacinto WA and shot a limit in W12......Type in generalities and use the PM key.

8......Don't drink while hunting......Not only is it illegal, but I can tell you. I won't hunt with guys that drink and get obnoxious.....Just use good judgment after the hunt.

9)......Lastly, and probably the most important......Think safety 1st at all times......Don't shoot over your blind partners head. Don't load your gun and start running into the field because you saw a rooster. Don't shoot at low flying doves at dark-thirty. Don't run or walk in front of your hunting partner. Always watch the direction of your muzzle. That includes partners dog or dogs. Don't click your safety off as birds are coming in. It goes off in the same motion as you put your gun to your shoulder (my pet peeve). There's many more scenarios, but I think you get the picture........Safety 1st.

Anyway, these are just a few things that I'm learned (I'm sure there's more). It has resulted in being asked to hunt with many and trusted to hunt spots, I would've never known.

Good luck to all this season.

Thanks for getting this out Steve.

Some people just don't get it even after you tell them.
I took a guy fishing to one of my hot spots one time, told him not to fish there without me. The next day I see his truck parked there. It pissed me off but I didn't say anything. The next day I see him parked there again with another vehicle. So now I'm really pissed. So happens I had a bag of fish guts in the back of my truck. So I opened the door to his truck and throw the bag of fish guts in this cab. Next day at work I told him off.
He didn't think he did anything wrong by taking other people there. Some people just don't get it. But I never saw him fishing there again.

Reactions: "Relentless"
Re: Hunter Codes, Ethics, & Etiquette

ilovesprig said:
With a lot of new hunters (& fisherman) on the site. And with hunting season right around the corner. I thought maybe it was a good time to mention a few codes & ethics I've been taught over my close to 60 years of hunting and fishing. There's a lot of guys looking for hunting partners. Here's a few things that may get you a partner and have a hunting buddy for life.

1)......If someone takes you to a spot (fishing or hunting). You do NOT go back to this spot without him or his permission (or tell others).....Be it public or private....... Also try and return the favor, if you can. One sided relationships rarely last long......This has been a code of the hunter or fisherman since I can remember.

2).....Show up on time.....Set your alarm to be early. Nothing more frustrating than waiting for someone when your excited about going.....Get your gear together the night before and be packed and ready to go......5 minutes early is always a good thing.

3)......Be prepared.....Being prepared means, bring enough stuff for two. Water, food, ammo, etc.....Mooching and borrowing stuff is not a good thing, especially early on......Try to own all your own equipment......When you get invited, tell the person what you have and don't have.......Be honest and sincere.

4)......Always offer to drive or pay for gas, if your not driving...... Pay for lunch, if he won't except gas money.....If your fishing. Help pay for the bait, pay for the launch fees and permits, if it's not your boat.....Don't be cheap!

5)......Don't be a game hog......If your the guest. Your partner has 1st shot unless he says otherwise (which in most cases is agreed upon beforehand)......For example, if a duck or goose is coming in. Don't start shooting while it's still out 60 yds, just so you get the 1st shot......Let your partner call the shot......Another example, if your partner has a dog and it flushes a bird in front of him..... It's his shot..... Even though you may have a shot from the side as well.....If your getting all the shots. Offer to change spots with him......We all try to get our limits, but don't do it at the risk of losing a good hunting partner......Think passive aggressive.

6)......Work hard.....Help put out and pick up the decoys.....If your partner shoots a deer. Help him look for it. Always help clean birds or animals.....Offer to clean boat or partners truck.....Don't be lazy.

7)......Internet stuff......The internet is a wonderful thing, but it can have it's drawbacks......Don't post pictures of spots with telling info, unless you don't care about others using it (refer to #1). Don't post or say what particular blind site or location your hunting, despite being a public hunting area.....For example, don't say your hunting San Jacinto WA and shot a limit in W12......Type in generalities and use the PM key.

8)......Don't drink while hunting......Not only is it illegal, but I can tell you. I won't hunt with guys that drink and get obnoxious.....Just use good judgment after the hunt.

9)......Lastly, and probably the most important......Think safety 1st at all times......Don't shoot over your blind partners head. Don't load your gun and start running into the field because you saw a rooster. Don't shoot at low flying doves at dark-thirty. Don't run or walk in front of your hunting partner. Always watch the direction of your muzzle. That includes partners dog or dogs. Don't click your safety off as birds are coming in. It goes off in the same motion as you put your gun to your shoulder (my pet peeve). There's many more scenarios, but I think you get the picture........Safety 1st.

Anyway, these are just a few things that I'm learned (I'm sure there's more). It has resulted in being asked to hunt with many and trusted to hunt spots, I would've never known.

Good luck to all this season.
This is a great reminder to all hunters and fishermen this should be on the front page of the website

The old rule 10 % catch 90 % of the fish rings a bell. It's tried and true. I have taken people in places and killed only for them to return numerous times and kill nothing. I go back in a kill again. Some is luck most is skill and sometimes right place right time. In my experience most people are too lazy too hang with the physical aspect of my hunting style. If I take some one into the bottom once they'll never do it again

Is that a throw-down, Wackum?
;)

Sent via Tapatalk

Great post Steve! I can't stand hunters who take game and Do not pick it up. Seen many dead rabbits and squirrels left behind. If you shoot you clean it and take it home. If you do not want it give it to someone that can use it.

Reactions: Goyaałé
The only people that care about this code are the ones that don't need to read it, they already get it. The other folks don't care and will never get it no matter what they read.

As Dr house would say "people don't change"

Bill,

It's just a basic guideline for guys that are just starting and still have a sense of doing the right thing......I think you'd be surprised how many people don't know about #1........Just reminders and suggestions.

Bonejour said:
Is that a throw-down, Wackum?
;)

Sent via Tapatalk

Do you read what is posted or just react these are good rules for everyone to follow I see you as having an agenda ???

The old rule 10 % catch 90 % of the fish rings a bell. It's tried and true. I have taken people in places and killed only for them to return numerous times and kill nothing. I go back in a kill again. Some is luck most is skill and sometimes right place right time. In my experience most people are too lazy too hang with the physical aspect of my hunting style. If I take some one into the bottom once they'll never do it again

Wackum are you calling out one of the best people this sport has seen in ages Steve has forgotten more about hunting than you at a young age know chill out dude

Tom,

Thanks for having my back, but I think nothing was meant by it........10% of the hunters & fisherman probably do get 90% of the game.......This thread is not about how much game we get though.......It's just a collection of things I've learned over the years.....And hope it helps some new hunters find and hold new hunting partners..........Just my 2 cents.

I just get pissed when someone who doesn't even take the time to know you takes you to task . take care friend

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu