Hunter Codes, Ethics, & Etiquette

uplandfam said:
... if your not allowed to hunt while drunk please don't, ...
Um... Just to clarify, DO NOT DRINK AND USE FIREARMS!

Sent via Tapatalk

yes that's what i meant. some times i ramble on and on and on......

Bonejour said:
uplandfam said:
... if your not allowed to hunt while drunk please don't, ...
Um... Just to clarify, DO NOT DRINK AND USE FIREARMS!

Sent via Tapatalk

Thanks for the follow-up........Rule #8 in the original post.........Absolutely unacceptable!

Here's another for the internet........If you send a PM...... State your name, not just your handle...... Getting PM's from unknowns just doesn't cut it.

I get a lot of PM's......Got one once from a guy that went by Newbie.......Come to find out he was an outfitter in Canada and we hunted the same area. Got his name (ip) and knew exactly who he was. He did some really terrible things trying to ruin our hunts.

ilovesprig said:
Here's another for the internet........If you send a PM...... State your name, not just your handle...... Getting PM's from unknowns just doesn't cut it.

I get a lot of PM's......Got one once from a guy that went by Newbie.......Come to find out he was an outfitter in Canada and we hunted the same area. Got his name (ip) and knew exactly who he was. He did some really terrible things trying to ruin our hunts.

Unfortunate this happened. why people do this kind of stuff. baffles my mind.

Ghost

Hunting Guest Etiquette

Excellent post. Thank you. \

I am a long time fisherman who was converted to the dark side ;) and have been hunting about 3 years now. I even canceled some annual long range trips this year to hunt instead. I have learned a ton and followed all of your tips to a T and then some. Those are a minimum if you ever want to be invited back again!

I have been the driver, kitchen guy, firewood guy, carry meat guy, dig/drag/bury guy, gas station fill up guy, gas station clean the windows guy...its the little things. In addition to that list (and some might be redundant) here are some things I have learned.

So far I have been on Elk Hunts, a horseback Moose Hunt, numerous pig hunts, numerous duck hunts, goose hunts...The internet part is tough. You want to share but have to choose and select every single word. Not to mention editing each photo carefully...LOL

1. Volunteer for everything. Don't sit and drink at the end of a long day when you have one coming up. Help the guide also, he will appreciate it. He is there to help you hunt, not be your servant.

2. Keep a super good attitude. Smile. Most of the time I am happy to just be there. Harvesting something is a bonus. On the horseback Moose Hunt I was just an observer. No pressure, got to watch everything unfold. One of the best trips of my life. Super fun.

3. Only ask the same questions a few times but ask questions and learn something every trip.

4. Talk enough but don't talk too much.

5. Glass, Glass, Glass, contribute. This is a team sport at times and spots are few. Like motoring on a boat looking for kelp patties. If one guy sleeps while everyone is glassing and you miss a patty. I have seen a lot of guys that sleep don't get invited back. Sleep is over-rated...LOL but seriously, be in good shape, rested, and don't plow down a 12 pack the night before a hunt. Be sharp and ready to contribute.

6. Its not all about shooting. Its about the preparation, journey, destination, and camaraderie. If you are not having fun and your group is not balanced then you should find something else to do.

7. Can't agree more about the Safety. I have to think about everyone in the group first, animal second. Where is my rifle pointing, where is my muzzle blast going to go. Remind others about ear plugs, continually check rifle condition.

8. Stop by Fine Firearms every now and then and ask questions from all the hunters in that store! Get your tags there. I need to go get my duck stamp...gotta go there again soon.

Act like you have been there before and most important...follow directions of your guide or group lead. Do exactly what they tell you to do, don't freelance.

Thx

Mike

Reactions: longbowhunter2
ilovesprig said:

That is my fav trick for getting blind numbers for Winster from you sprig. use my shill accounts and say something like, Newbie needs help and advice. Works every time :p

Aeon said:
ilovesprig said:

That is my fav trick for getting blind numbers for Winster from you sprig. use my shill accounts and say something like, Newbie needs help and advice. Works every time :p

Bill,

OK, that's it.........No more info about Winster without being invited on the res.......... :D

With a lot of new hunters (& fisherman) on the site. And with hunting season right around the corner. I thought maybe it was a good time to mention a few codes & ethics I've been taught over my close to 60 years of hunting and fishing. There's a lot of guys looking for hunting partners. Here's a few things that may get you a partner and have a hunting buddy for life.

1)......If someone takes you to a spot (fishing or hunting). You do NOT go back to this spot without him or his permission (or tell others).....Be it public or private....... Also try and return the favor, if you can. One sided relationships rarely last long......This has been a code of the hunter or fisherman since I can remember.

2).....Show up on time.....Set your alarm to be early. Nothing more frustrating than waiting for someone when your excited about going.....Get your gear together the night before and be packed and ready to go......5 minutes early is always a good thing.

3)......Be prepared.....Being prepared means, bring enough stuff for two. Water, food, ammo, etc.....Mooching and borrowing stuff is not a good thing, especially early on......Try to own all your own equipment......When you get invited, tell the person what you have and don't have.......Be honest and sincere.

4)......Always offer to drive or pay for gas, if your not driving...... Pay for lunch, if he won't except gas money.....If your fishing. Help pay for the bait, pay for the launch fees and permits, if it's not your boat.....Don't be cheap!

5)......Don't be a game hog......If your the guest. Your partner has 1st shot unless he says otherwise (which in most cases is agreed upon beforehand)......For example, if a duck or goose is coming in. Don't start shooting while it's still out 60 yds, just so you get the 1st shot......Let your partner call the shot......Another example, if your partner has a dog and it flushes a bird in front of him..... It's his shot..... Even though you may have a shot from the side as well.....If your getting all the shots. Offer to change spots with him......We all try to get our limits, but don't do it at the risk of losing a good hunting partner......Think passive aggressive.

6)......Work hard.....Help put out and pick up the decoys.....If your partner shoots a deer. Help him look for it and pack it out. Always help clean birds or animals.....Pick up trash....Offer to clean boat or partners truck.....Don't be lazy.

7)......Internet stuff......The internet is a wonderful thing, but it can have it's drawbacks......Don't post pictures of spots with telling info, unless you don't care about others using it (refer to #1). Don't post or say what particular blind site or location your hunting, despite being a public hunting area.....For example, don't say your hunting San Jacinto WA and shot a limit in W12......Type in generalities and use the PM key.

8......Don't drink while hunting......Not only is it illegal, but I can tell you. I won't hunt with guys that drink and get obnoxious.....Just use good judgment after the hunt.

9)......Lastly, and probably the most important......Think safety 1st at all times......Don't shoot over your blind partners head. Don't load your gun and start running into the field because you saw a rooster. Don't shoot at low flying doves at dark-thirty. Don't run or walk in front of your hunting partner. Always watch the direction of your muzzle. That includes partners dog or dogs. Don't click your safety off as birds are coming in. It goes off in the same motion as you put your gun to your shoulder (my pet peeve). There's many more scenarios, but I think you get the picture........Safety 1st.

Anyway, these are just a few things that I'm learned (I'm sure there's more). It has resulted in being asked to hunt with many and trusted to hunt spots, I would've never known.

Good luck to all this season.

Thank you for taking the time to write this out. I was looking through to find what is expected if you're accompanying someone on a hunt, as I want to make sure I'm a respectful hunting partner. This answered some questions that some people may be too polite to say upfront when they invite you on a hunt. Thank you for this!

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Thank you for taking the time to write this out. I was looking through to find what is expected if you're accompanying someone on a hunt, as I want to make sure I'm a respectful hunting partner. This answered some questions that some people may be too polite to say upfront when they invite you on a hunt. Thank you for this!

Your quite welcome.......Finding a good hunting partner isn't as easy as one would think.

Your quite welcome.......Finding a good hunting partner isn't as easy as one would think.

So I've heard. I figured if someone is taking the time to go out and help you be successful, the least you could do is return the favor by having some tact. What you wrote out is awesome to see in writing and really helped me out in understanding what is and isn't acceptable on co-op hunts.

It sure if this is the right place to ask but: Can anyone summarize briefly the differences between D16, A22 and AO tags?

If I’m on the wrong track here please help me out. The last thing I want to do is mix these all up.

My quick breakdown is this:

-D16 is general season tag. Can hunt archery or rifle with this tag within the appropriate dates.

-A22 is essentially a general season tag for archery only hunts within appropriate dates.

-AO archery only hunt with extended date ranges be it earlier or later within the respective zone (D16 in my case).

D 16. There is an archery season and a General season check the dates. Buck only.

A22 Is archery only either sex. ( no spikes )
Again check the dates, as it’s a split season.

AO. Is archery only in any A, B, or D zones archery or general. buck only

D 16 and A 22 have different boundaries.

D 16. There is an archery season and a General season check the dates. Buck only.

A22 Is archery only either sex. ( no spikes )
Again check the dates, as it’s a split season.

AO. Is archery only in any A, B, or D zones archery or general. buck only

D 16 and A 22 have different boundaries.

Thanks for the response. So AO gets to hunt the D16 and A22 dates basically then?

#1) Don't use the optic on your freakin' rifle to scan the terrain!!

(Had this happen to me 2019 season) I can not tell you the intense horror I felt when I turned my 15's at the Father and Daughter combo that a truck hurriedly dropped off at the side of the road near to where my sit spot was (maybe 200yds over). The moment I turned my 15's and focused... I'm looking at the daughter.... in HD mind you... pointing her Rifle DIRECTLY AT ME!! DIRECTLY AT ME!! I was wearing a Mesh Ghillie suit so they did not see me at all. THAT... is why you NEVER use the optic on your rifle as a tool for scanning the country-side! NEVER! That's what BINOS are for!

#2) Make sure to to have a talk with your hunting partner about what is the etiquette of how much meat to give to your partner as a nice gesture for them kindly electing to help you pack-out some the animal. This prevents a lot of bad noise from happening. Some folks say 50-50. I think that is excessive. But no matter what it is, decide upon it *ahead of time* so there's no bad blood between you when the moment comes. Get those details squared away LONG before you get out there.

#3) Do the electrical tape trick on your rifle. AND bring a Bore-Snake in your pack!

You can cover the end of your barrel with electrical tape. The tape will pop off before the bullet even gets there from the column of air in front of the bullet being compressed and pushed out. Doesn't affect bullet flight. What this does for you is helps to prevent crap from getting into your barrel like when you lean your rifle up against a bush limb or a rock, and then while you attend to your other business the rifle slips over and falls digging the muzzle into a buncha dirt. If you've already shot, and don't have any more electrical tape, the Bore-Snake makes for a quick and easy way to ensure the bore is good to go after that fall over got crap into it. Cheap insurance to make sure you don't get a bore obstruction that could have catastrophic consequences to you.

Last edited:
No. AO and A22 are unrelated. Do not mix those up. AO is only related to the open seasons in A, B, or D.

thanks for that. I am hoping to get d16 and a22 this year. I’d like to focus mostly on archery but it’s nice to have the d16 if I have a chance at a rifle hunt. I guess the only benefit to an AO tag would be to have some flexibility to hunt in A, B or D zone?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu